BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I wondered if anyone has gone from a F30/F31 335d to a new M340d and could answer a couple of questions for me?

I bought a new F31 335d in 2017 and added a number of options - it is an utterly incredible car in every way and I am looking at the logical replacement in due course, the G21 M340d.

When I bought the 335d, I came from a similar car (F31 330d) and the dealer pointed out a couple of key things to me which were I believe as a result of the X-Drive:

1) The turning circle was wider
I gather this was owing to the need for a smaller steering rack to be fitted.

2) The suspension was higher
Apparently the lower M-Sport settings could not be fitted and hence the car had the loftier "SE" type

My questions are - have these issues carried over to the G20/G21?

The turning circle issue I find a bit of a pain - often a 3-point turn means a 5-point turn - and if the new model has the tighter circle that would be brilliant.

The suspension is probably a matter of taste - but I have to say that I actually have preferred the higher setting. I opted for Adaptive Suspension as one of the options on my current car, and I find the ride of the higher suspension is much less "crashy" than the standard M-Sport setting I had in the 330d - but with Adaptive and X-Drive, to be honest I cannot complain about the handling as it feels very sure footed at all times.

Hence, if the M340d has the lower suspension, I might find that very hard based on what I am used to.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

I wondered if anyone has gone from a F30/F31 335d to a new M340d and could answer a couple of questions for me?

I bought a new F31 335d in 2017 and added a number of options - it is an utterly incredible car in every way and I am looking at the logical replacement in due course, the G21 M340d.

When I bought the 335d, I came from a similar car (F31 330d) and the dealer pointed out a couple of key things to me which were I believe as a result of the X-Drive:

1) The turning circle was wider
I gather this was owing to the need for a smaller steering rack to be fitted.

2) The suspension was higher
Apparently the lower M-Sport settings could not be fitted and hence the car had the loftier "SE" type

My questions are - have these issues carried over to the G20/G21?

The turning circle issue I find a bit of a pain - often a 3-point turn means a 5-point turn - and if the new model has the tighter circle that would be brilliant.

The suspension is probably a matter of taste - but I have to say that I actually have preferred the higher setting. I opted for Adaptive Suspension as one of the options on my current car, and I find the ride of the higher suspension is much less "crashy" than the standard M-Sport setting I had in the 330d - but with Adaptive and X-Drive, to be honest I cannot complain about the handling as it feels very sure footed at all times.

Hence, if the M340d has the lower suspension, I might find that very hard based on what I am used to.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mark I also have an F31 335d and spec'd adaptive suspension so could get more of an MSport feel if in sport mode. I've ordered a new 340d but September delivery. Adaptive suspension is now standard on the M340d so that takes care of that mate. Hadn't heard about the turning circle and never struggled with it myself. As for ride height, having seen 1 in the dealership, think it looks much better with I'm sure much less of a gap above the 19s.

·
Registered
212 Posts
For me the se suspension was awful so made some changes. I didn't have adaptive suspension.
No idea why the m sport suspension would not be fitted to the xdrive, seems weird as they lower perfectly ok

1 - 4 of 4 Posts