BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Can anyone explain to me why the saloon 330d is half a second quicker to 62 than the coupe according to the BMW website. I presume there is no real weight difference as the 320d has the same 0-62 time. I see also the CO2 levels are different but the power output is the same along with the mpg. Any ideas, is this a mistake or is BMW pulling a fast one on coupe buyers, as a potential 330d coupe buyer (was waiting to see if they would make a 323d) im kinda of put off by this disparity.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
should be the same speed wise I would have thought, besides, you're never going to noice 0.2 seconds on the roads and if both cars were put side by side I'm sure there would be nothing in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but its not just 0.2 secs, saloon to 62 is 6.1 where as coupe is 6.6.

Ok just rechecked, here is an interesting thing, the 330d se is 6.0 where as the msport is 6.7. This surely cant be correct can it?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
M-sport isn't faster in terms of having a tweaked engine, it just has M-sport extras like sports seats, body kit etc over the SE model.

BMW are known to be conservative with their figures, but such differences do make you think how the tests are conducted and where the differences are comming from ... but I still maintain on the road it'll be the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the only difference between the M-sport and SE is purely cosmetic, however the SE is aparently 0-62 0.6 seconds quicker than the M-sport, how can this be when its only cosmetic changes? I think there has just been a mistake on the BMW website, I think the saloon should be 6.1 and the coupe both SE and msport should be 6.0 which would make sence as you would think the coupe would be very slightly lighter

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I would have expected just the Convertible to be slower ?

M-sport could in theory be slower as the tyres would have more rolling resistance as they are wider and add to the CdA, as would the body additions, but up to 60 would not have thought the CdA would have impacted that much?

It is only the 330d which shows such a disparity, got to be a typo IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the 330d convertable according to bmw website has 0-62 as 7.0 but it also seems have the older generation 231bhp engine.

I was making a direct comparison between the SE coupe and the Msport coupe and although I understand what you are saying about wider tyres and rolling resistance, I really dont think it would make any difference as all the other engines in the coupe range have exactly the same times between the SE and Msport. Cant see that it would only be the 330d that it would effect. Must be a mistake on the website

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok the old 231bhp 330d is 0-62 in 6.6secs, just checked in an older 3 series catalogue I had, so must be 6.0 in the new one.

Ok this is strange though cause if the 330d as it says in SE form is 0-62 in 6.0 secs and the 335d is 0-62 in 5.9 secs, who on earth would pay an extra 3.5 grand for the 335d, ok the 335d is automatic but I wouldnt want that anyway. Something strange going on with BMW 0-62 figures if you ask me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
wont the coupe suspension be slightly harder? Enough so that the weight doesn't compress the suspension as much giving a mega tiny slight difference from pulling away??? Either way, different drivers would make or lose 0.5sec on a run. Makes no odds.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Why are you comparing 0 to 60 times when about to buy a car? I don't get it. You are gonna part with your hard earned cash because of 0.2 or 0.6 of a (book) second and in the real world conditions this makes very little noticeable difference and drivers ability comes into question to achieve these times.

Would it not be better to concentrate on the right drive and engione combination along with equipment?

Only asking like.... Red :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
because 0-60 does make a difference, yes there are other factors but in comparing cars its a good point to look at. Im a bit of a petrol head so want the extra power, the 318d probably handles the same as the 330d as it has the same suspension chassis etc. My point was more that the figures dont stack up, couldnt work out why the saloon was quicker but then when I saw the SE was different to Msport relised must be a mistake.

And yeah half a second difference would make a difference cause it reduces greatly the difference between the 325d and 330d, seeing as there is 2grand difference in them and the only difference is the engine, I wanna know the 2grand is at least worth it.

Oh and before anyone says why get a deisel, cause I do 25-30k miles a year.

0-60 times give you a pretty good guestimate time, drivers ability can make a slight difference, but I bet I could beat lewis hamilton if he had a 1ltr corsa and I was in a Z4 M

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
yeah mate no probs, eavh to their own and it your money etc.

So if your that into 0 to 60 times would you be keeping it stock or stripping it dow like Jemroqui (sp) did with his lambo and took all the inside panels off and only had a wire to pull the door open (took off as much weight as possible to make the car lighter)

You gonna remap it / super chip it then? Red :)

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I wouldn't take the 0-60 in isolation though. Some cars can have the same acceleration, but different 0-60 times as one will reach in 2nd gear, the next in 3rd. But at 70, when they are both in 3rd they can be level pegging.

The 30-50, and 50-70 is probably more representative in day to day driving, unless traffic light grand prix's are your gig. This is where you will see the differences in 325d, 330d and 335d. You will also find that in kickdown the auto's post some great mid-range figures as turbo diesels suit auto's really well. Ask Red !

But ignore all the figures, go and test, this will be the definitive answer for you.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I wouldn't take the 0-60 in isolation though. Some cars can have the same acceleration, but different 0-60 times as one will reach in 2nd gear, the next in 3rd. But at 70, when they are both in 3rd they can be level pegging.

The 30-50, and 50-70 is probably more representative in day to day driving, unless traffic light grand prix's are your gig. This is where you will see the differences in 325d, 330d and 335d. You will also find that in kickdown the auto's post some great mid-range figures as turbo diesels suit auto's really well. Ask Red !

But ignore all the figures, go and test, this will be the definitive answer for you.
well said.

Forget 0-60 times, get the cars onto the road under real conditions and see how they perform on tarmac.

If you want to take any stats into consideration, replace the 0-60 with 0-100mph/0-150mph, this will really show how well and fast a car is and wil help show how much quicker it is i the real world.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah mate no probs, eavh to their own and it your money etc.

So if your that into 0 to 60 times would you be keeping it stock or stripping it dow like Jemroqui (sp) did with his lambo and took all the inside panels off and only had a wire to pull the door open (took off as much weight as possible to make the car lighter)

You gonna remap it / super chip it then? Red :)
As I said before I do 25 to 30k miles a year, im fed up with maintenence costs so gunna lease the car, I get money from company and as most of my milleage is gunna be company milleage and I get paid pence per mile I want as much power with as much mpg as possible, hence why it really has to be a bmw deisel, nobody can match them.

So taking into effect it will be a lease car you can guess the answer to ur questions is gunna be obviously no.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
for me as stated above its all about power over mpg, the 325d although slightly cheaper has pretty much the same mpg as the 330d so I dont mind paying the extra as I get ppm it wont in real terms make a lot of difference.

Id actually really like a 323d as this would be twin turbo so get rid of some of the deisel low end lag and have great mpg, plus have good power, and with less weight up front would handle better. But as bmw dont seem to want to introduce this, the 330d seems like the next sensible step up.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Catdog, does your company provide a different rate of petrol vs diesel reimbursement ?

I only ask as I have opted out and the 25mpg out of my 335i at 26p/mile means that a diesel would have to return 46mpg at the 14p my employer pays for a diesel. I know there is the tax element to take into account at year end, but for me any likely difference was personally justified. I do c25k miles/year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.