BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there got a 2001 e46 330d 181hp that won't rev past 3000rpm.

It feels like as if it's hitting a limmiter, and pours out black smoke when you try to go past it. It sometimes dose go past and you get a bit of power around 4200rpm then. If you try to go past and pop the clutch in it idles rough and misses a bit for a bit then returns to normal. Can drive it upto around a max of 2500rpm fine.

I've read the codes and got 4704 'pre - supply pressure monitioring' reduction due to low pre supply pressure.

So I proceed to try anther in tank fuel pump, and under bonnet fuel filter - no difference.

So then I took the inlet manifold off and cleaned out some of the carbon, not much bit a bit was present. Checked all vacumme lines and found no obious cracks or splits. The map senor was a little bit gunked up with like a wet oily substance so cleaned it off with some electrial cleaner. This made no difference.

So then I tried unplugging sensors.
First I unplugged the MAF and went for a spin - no real difference
I plugged the MAF back in and then tried unplugging the pressure sensor on the fuel filter and again no difference.
Plugged this back in and then tried unplugging the MAP sensor - with this unplugged the car had no issues revving right up to the limmiter. Full power past 3000rpm but below that seems down on power. I have left this unplugged no and has been running OK.

Checked in pa fuel pressures and low pressure seem's to be a stable 4bar.

Not sure what it could be don't particularly want to be buying sensors when they're OK. Are there any other tests I can do to narrow it down ?

Cheer's Cutis .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought it might be but after phoning the dealer and finding out it was circa £90 I wanted to make sure! There are ones on ebay for around £30 not sure if it's worth a risk or not. :/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I fitted the eBay map sensor and it's exactly the same. Will rev right up to the red line at 3/4 throttle or less. Anyone know how to graph requested boost vs actual boost?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed to get test o working and im very impressed, handy bit of software. Did some driving with the graphs running measuring requested boost & actual boost there was a bit of a gap here with the actual boost being higher then the requested.

I saved the graphs via the option on the tool bar and have just gone to open them up however there .CSV files and i cannot find out how i view them again in the program any ideas?

-Curtis

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers for the testo advice.

So been doing some driving around, some with the map sensor connected some without, now it dosent matter weather the map is connected or not it still dose the same thing.

Got a new error code "boost pressure control" boost pressure to big.

still no real idea whats wrong with it, probably getting worse wonder how many miles it will give me before its completely un-drivable !

·
5,890 Posts
The boost pressure control error is showing because you disconnected the map sensor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't see it as I have a code for the map sensor not being connected. This boost pressure control error is a new one and hasn't come up previously when I've had the sensor unplugged. I may be wrong but I can't see it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What is the error code now?
This should have a single Garrett turbocharger (VGT) - correct? Make sure the vacuum lines to the VGT are ok and the vanes move freely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heres a code printout for today

99a97-tiez5-001.jpg
99a97-tiez5-002.jpg

And heres one from before with the boost actuator code

z73t2-mw7dm-001.jpg
z73t2-mw7dm-002.jpg
z73t2-mw7dm-003.jpg
z73t2-mw7dm-004.jpg

Yeah your right in thinking its a single turbo with the vacuum operated VNT.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What is the error code now?
This should have a single Garrett turbocharger (VGT) - correct? Make sure the vacuum lines to the VGT are ok and the vanes move freely.
Ive checked the vacuum lines for splits and cracks all seem to be ok, even took the vacuum reservoir off the inspect and this seemed fine also.

with regards to the vnt acctuator arm there is movement there but to be honest im not sure what too be looking for exactly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts