BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a 3?0d sport...
I'm still debating between 330 or 320...

The 330d i've been looking at is an automatic (tiptronic)
I understand i'll take a little bit of a hit on mpg, but if i drive it "manual" using the tiptronic... do i get any benefit?

Woudl a 320d auto really be that much slower??
I'm mainly interested in the 320d for the increased economy - and i have found a lovely 320d for £4k less than the 330d...

...a little background - my last car was a mk4 Golf R32, so both will feel a little more hesitant than my previous vehicle.

Any help you guys can give would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I have driven both the 320d and 330d, and also an R32.

I think you almost have to sit down and ask yourself what you love and loathe about the R32 and make a decision from that.

Both the 330d and 320d are good cars, but in comparison versus the R32 for example;

Overtaking ability / torque
R32 Big tick
320d Small tick
330d Big tick

Economy
R32 Big cross
320d Big tick
330d Small tick

You may find if you go on with a list like this you only get the one answer which should help your decision making process. Then bring your heart into the equation and it all goes out of the window and says 330d.

·
Registered
236 Posts
330d all day long!!!

A big, rather heavy car needs a big engine imho!!! I have driven both and the fact you had an R32 says to me you like something with a bit of poke so go for the 330d... a remap makes it even quicker and better mpg but that may not be something that interests you!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
G4EDW is 100% spot on.

I bought a 320d in July, no complaints is pretty fast for an oil burner, and getting 50mpg which is awesome especially considering the way I drive it! But I have to confess... after 6 months I'm kinda wishing I'd plumped for the 330d. Just that wee bit more poke would make all the difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't worry about the manuel / tiptronic thing, I have a 330D auto and in automatic mode it changes better than I can do it in tiptronic. Go for the 330 if fuel isn't top priority, leave it in auto and you'll love it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First off, thanks for starting this thread. I've been kicking around the idea of the 320d vs. 330d for some time now too. I'm leaning to the 330d right now.

Forgive the geeky analysis... but:

Car_ I.C. _ Sale _ Lost Insur _Oil_ Tax Cost to own for 3 years
330d 15000 8000 7000 2250 4200 630 14080
320d 11000 6500 4500 1650 3300 450 9900

Given: I.C. is initial cost, sale is cost after 3 years of driving, LOST is the depreciation between those two variables, INSUR is the typical cost of insurance for each vehicle for 3 years (for me), OIL is the amount of diesel required to do 15k miles / year at current costs given current costs, TAX is road tax. Now that means that even though the difference to buy now is 4k, the total cost of ownership is 4.2k different over 3 years. The big variable is the initial cost. All variables estimated for adding 45k miles onto the vehicle.

As with all vehicles you have to pay for service and repairs, which will add to this cost of ownership, lets say it's about 3000 total (tires, wear and tear, oil changes, etc). When you then look at that cost over three years and break it down per month it's 474 versus 358, so it's quite a bit, 116/month different.

Cars unfortunately aren't great investments. You always loose money when you purchase a car :) For me, the post by ChampionLard sums it up for me. BMW's are expensive, so if I'm paying 360/month out of my salary for a BMW and I'm not 100% happy I'll get buyers regret. Though it does work out to be a 32% premium on happiness. In the end, it's up to you if that extra money is worth it. I think it is, but that's just me :) Plus, you never know when it comes to resale, perhaps you get a lot more than I expected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I brought a 05 plate 320d m-coupe and was also swaying between the 330d and the 320d for a while.
In the end i went with the 320d for the fuel economy, as i do alot of miles.
I think that the torque and acceleration is enough for overtaking and general driving.
I used to have a chipped 1.8 20v turbo seat cupra, which was quick..... but then again you can never use it anyway!
You would not be disapointed with the 320d at all, and if you did want some extra poke, there is always a remap.
I think is a bit of a dark horse as it looks exactly the same as the 330, but its secretly very economical................. and the tax as you say is dirt cheap!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts