BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

just wandering if anyone has taken out a warranty to cover turbos and other parts on there car ? if so is it any good and how much do you pay ? and who is it with..

my 2001 330d is out of warranty and i keep reading about blown turbos and bloody swirl flaps, im thinking i need some warranty to put my mind at ease. havin done 72k should i be worried :eek

·
Registered
143 Posts
DON'T go with AutoProtect.

I paid extra to have the turbo charger included in the policy, but was still refused on the grounds of carbon build-up, which meant it wasn't a "sudden" mechanical breakdown. It was fucking sudden to me.

Read a little about it here
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f18/2003-e46-320d-turbo-blown-possibly-more-advice-t10032/

I ended up replacing the turbo with a brand new one at significant cost, then replacing the whole engine as it suffered damage from running on oil. All in all I lost out on £3,200 :(

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
To be honest, forget about warranties, they are a con, fact.

Just be aware of the issues, keep your car serviced, when it goes in for a service, request that the problem areas are inspected and serviced as well if applicable.

Also 'Midland Turbo' in Nottingham supply and stock a wide range of new and remanufactured Turbos at respectable prices, so should teh worst happen, you know you can get a decent warranted unit and have a garage fit it etc. Also there is the BMW breakers route as well. This works out far cheaper than having to pay for a warranty and on top paying to have the work done yourself anyway when the warranty company tells you that you've been screwed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.