BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

330d 184bhp turbo swap

4K views 33 replies 4 participants last post by  edber 
#1 ·
Hey all.

My 330d has a fault which has been traced to the vnt vanes sticking inside the turbo.

Ive got a turbo here, oil lines and a crankcase breather ready to go on, along with oil, oil filter and an air filter.

Im fairly handy with tools, Im just wondering if there is anything besides a socket set that i will need.

Has anyone done this before and what advice can you give? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
On doing turbo replacements on my previous cars I've usually bought new gaskets (manifold to turbo and turbo to elbow) and there's always been massive bother getting bolts out, especially from manifold to turbo, due to corrosion. So I'd recommend a bolt removal kit or 2 pairs of decent mole grips, and new bolts.

Remember to squirt a little oil into the turbo and spin it round a bit before fitting.

#4 ·
ive got some nut and bolt removers, angle grinder, drill if needed and new gaskets :)

copper washers for the bano bolts, loads of assorted new nuts and bolts il re build it with too.

the only bit that concerns me is removing the engine mount. i dont have an engine hoist or steady so will i get away with a trolly jack under the sump with a block of wood to spread the load?

#12 ·
The diagram above will clarify it for you as I posted it wrong.
The top nipple is from the main vacuum supply via the reservoir and the bottom nipple goes to the turbo diaphragm.

#15 ·
The turbo vanes were sticking. It lacked any real grunt with foot down and it kept curring boost because manifold pressure was too high. If i floored it the car would kill boost at between 2.5 and 3k rpm without fail. Then the revs would slowly raise again and it would go again. It rolling roaded at 154 bhp in that condition with a massive dive in power just as it should be hitting full power.

When it boosts up it feels 10x better now its like a relentless torque wave. But when i change up and the revs drop the power dies completely and its like running with the maf unplugged

#16 ·
Ok my reason for asking was if you took off your old turbo why didn't you give it a good cleaning out.
Unless your old turbo was leaking oil I can see no reason why cleaning it out couldnt have sorted your issues of sticking vanes.
In my 320d with an unprogrammed maf I had the exact same symptoms as you, it would also cut the boost and bog down between 2500rpm to 3000rpm.
Have you had a maf change recently?

#17 ·
If your car is the m57 engine,which I believe it is, then if you had a maf change the car needs reprogramming for the maf.
A unprogrammed maf would explain your cars behaviour.

#18 ·
Yeah my car is an m57. I went through all this before when the sticking vanes occured. Bmw main dealer said that my car wouldnt be affected by the change in coding.

The reason i changed it is because i had tried the oven cleaner trick with only temporary sucess. It was also letting oil through and if felt like there was play on the compressor wheel it rocked way too much.

#19 ·
Trust me if your maf is not programmed correctly into your dde then you will get the problems you describe.
Read my threads about my cars problems and the result was that the dealer didn't reprogram my dde correctly and you will see.
And your car would be transformed if it was programmed correctly.
If the dealer trys to reprogram the older cars using ista/p it will not work.
The dealer needs to reprogram your dde using DISV44.

#24 ·
When you changed the maf last year did you notice the flat spot between 2500 and 3000rpm then?
No point getting the car remaped until the dde is programmed to accept a new maf sensor.

#26 ·
It was like it before i changed the maf. I changed the maf thinking it was that causing the power problems in the first place.

It went to 3 different independants, one a specific bmw garage, and my wallet took a hell of a whack in the process, none could tell me what was going on. They tried everything. Replaced a load of sensors, diagnostic gave no info

It wasnt until i got a copy of DIS and had a look for myself at the live data, that i noticed the map value was through the roof. It was alot higher than the specified value. Eventually, it logged a code. I cant remember the code but the description was "short circuit to b+"

I checked the wiring loom back to the pins on the ecu plug and they belled out with a continuity test. They showed no real resistance either. I changed the map sensor again anyway thinking the new one may have been bad (i got it replaced under parts guarantee) but it still came up with the same code.

By this point i had pretty much given up. The turbo was showing signs of wear anyway and i was going to replace it, so i tried the mr muscle trick.

For a couple of weeks after, the car was much better and more lively, but still not 100%. The colour of the crap that came out wasnt good. There was the black soot as expected, but also brown tinged fluid which i later found to be rust.

Skip forward to now when i changed the turbo :) there has been alot of time and effort spent on this car i would love to get to the bottom of it the car holds huge sentimental value to me, yet im still convinced that ive never experienced what its like to drive a 330d as intended even though ive had the car a year.

Edit: the bosch numbers on both maf sensors buddy. Its exactly the same number on both

#29 · (Edited)
my version of dis is v57 so no coding it myself :(

your uncoded maf brought up the short to b+?

what am i looking for in inpa? fault codes?

Edit: ive removed and replaced all of the vacuum hoses going down that side.

Its much better than it was for sure, but the flat spot is still there.

After a conversation with bmw and theyre saying it would be £115 for an hour of coding o_O

#30 ·
My uncoded maf didn't show any faults as it wasn't broken.
Its just that the dde doesn't know what to do with the signals of an uncoded maf
therefore the cars drivability will be affected as in flat spots during acceleration and possibly a bit of engine vibration at idle.
Disv44 has the programming option built in and its what I used.
I too had disv57 but sss progman kept looking for 14volts during the reprogramming session but disv44 didn't and I had my dde reprogrammed in no time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.