BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I need some friendly advice on what to do with a damage on my much loved 330ci.

Totally ridiculous accident (recovery driver/mechanic 'dropped' my car of his truck whilst unloading... still fuming about it as the reason the car had to be recovered in the first place was a £20 fix voltage regulator which that idiot turned into a way bigger problem!!!) caused the damaged to the rear of my 330 (see attach photos) when the car reversed into a light post.

I am currently waiting for his insurance company to decide whether they will authorize the repair (they have received a quote from a garage/repairer) or whether they'll write the car off.

Whatever happens I'll want that car repaired as I really like it (2004 330ci, 6 speed manual, full leather, etc..replaced basically 80% of the car over the last couple of years, including a full body respray last August!

So to the questions:
1) Do you think that based on the damage the insurance company could write it off as Cat S (which would mean I cannot drive it until I repair it and I take it through the required checks/MOT, etc) or should they write it off as Cat N (which I believe it would mean I could still drive it and repair when I can..) ?

2) If the insurer write it off as Cat S and allow me to keep the car then what is the procedure of putting the car back on the road legally (as the car is drivable now anyway)? VIC check

3) In terms of the repair - the bonnet lid and the bumper are very easy to replace but has anyone dealt with a similar damage on the body panel above the bumper - any advices on how to straighten that (I was thinking that the easiest way would be to cut and bend the inside panel of that skin which would give me access to hammer it gently from inside out) and then bend back and weld? Body fill minor dents then and paint...?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Also worth checking the boot floor to see whether that's taken an impact as well. As Rasa says, most likely a write off with that sill damage.

The problem will be that the quotes will all be ridiculous for the bumper and boot lid (as in new parts sprayed up and blended in rather than just going to a breaker/ebay and buying the whole part) so you're probably into a couple of grand before you even start looking at the sill. Allow another £1k for the sill and I guess you're over the proportion of the economic value where they'll declare a write off. Shame, but hopefully you can buy the salvage and then sort it sensibly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses guys!

What do you think about the type of write off (as in Cat S vs Cat N) would that be something I could argue/politely request to be put down as Cat N? I am expecting to hear back from the insurer within the next couple of days and I thought I’d be prepared for all options.. again,I’d definitely want to keep the car and most likely repair it myself over a weekend or two but ideally I’d want to be able to drive the car in the meantime (it would be a shame to have to buy/hire a car) whilst this one is totally drivable. I checked the boot floor and it is solid - no issues there just that outer skin which in my mind isn’t really structural but I suspect they might class that as Cat S..?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply again Rasa. Legally what is the process of putting the car (Cat S) back on the road (as I assume as soon ad I accept the offer and the money I wouldn’t be able to drive the car?) - reapply for a V5 and take it through MOT (obviously fixing the car first) or is there anything else I have to do?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
never done it. but as you have said i think you have to apply for log book and maybe a test at a dvla centre,,or just a good old mot.when i got car back from insurance,,actually never moved off my drive,,they just gave it to me if i wanted it,,and i sold it on..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts