BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie but have found this forum very helpful in terms of all the niggly problems my 328i 1996 covertible has given me. I would appreciate any advice as i've come to the end of my tether with continuously trying to fix my 328i and now i'm thinking of something a bit newer and more reliable but still lover Bimmers, is it a good idea to trade-up and get an E46? Is there anything i should look out for in terms of known faults and best E46 model to get (i'm considering the 330ci or 330ci Sport). My main woes on my 328i soft-top have been:

Rust, rust rust - it's has the old bubbly spots of rust on the sills, starting on front and back arches and little on the boot lid, basically will need a full respray soon.
Hood - been having issues for last 3 months, had it reset and tried all the known reset fixes but now the main hood motor has failed.
Dials - the rev counter and MPG reader have packed-up - not wiring had it checked so probably need new pot dials.
Lots of niggles - boot lock failed, roof leaks (have repaired with the known fix but still a minor leak), hood has been very intermittant various issues.

Good points, the engine is fantastic, drives great it's just the body and electrics that let it down.

So do i take the plunge and take a loss on the old 328i and get it traded-in to get rid of it and spend up to £4k on the upgrade - or spend the cash on the old 328i getting it reprayed and the niggles sorted as i really love the old shape muscle car retro look ............ thanks for any advice

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
To be honest and ill probably get stick for it but the e46 is a bit....common and nice e36 ones are getting rarer by the day,both models have there faults as everyone knows but would be cheaper ironing out the faults on yours and making it yours styling and spec wise and be different maybe with vinyl wrap instead of a respray after sorting the rust issue out.

The choice they say is yours but you know the car and its faults and you know the engine is good

1 - 2 of 2 Posts