BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :silly

I am looking to make my 328 a reliable endurance track car, capable of taking lots of punishment without breaking.

Now what i wanted to know about first is cooling. My car has a new thermostat and water pump already, the rad looks pretty new too and the viscous coupling was replaced a few years ago. Presumably the water cooling side of things is ok with these bits done? Any common problems that i'm overlooking and any recommended mods to this side of things?

I don't know anything about the oil cooling side of things on the 328, but i do know that i will probably need an oil cooler and this will also help to keep the overall engine temperature lower putting less strain on the water cooling system. Is there a standard cooler? If not which is a good fitting kit for a mocal cooler? As the oil filter system is odd, i presume i need some adapters to screw into the side of the filter housing to connect the cooler to? Good location for the cooling rad?

And the brake cooling ducts seem to have done a runner. And i'm binning the fog lights, where does some good bits to fit into the bumper to funnel air to cooling ducts for the brakes and oil cooler?

Anything else worth considering?

Cheers
Alex

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I would consider replacing the thermostat with a lower temp one. Apart from that, I would fit an oil cooler as well. You might want to have a look at how the M3 oil cooler is fitted, maybe you can do something similar. If it's tracking you're after, you'll probably need better discs and pads for the breaking system, maybe low end Brembo's? Or even better (but more costly, obviously) - E46 330i discs and callipers. Suspension might need addressing, too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The M3 oil cooler looks like a perfect upgrade, now just to find one and all of the fittings etc. Hopefully it will fit into the 328 oil filter housing!

As for brakes, i've got that sorted.

Suspension i have H&R coilovers and eibach ARBs as well as powerflex bushes all round and M3 wishbones so well sorted.

Any ideas on where to get a lower rated thermostat?

Cheers

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts