BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference?

I know, the obvious difference is that the tds has more power than the td... but im after the reason why? Are they not both the same engine?

Bigger turbo? intercooler? bigger bore exhaust? free'er flowing air filter? etc etc?

Basically, what could i do to get my 325td up to 143bhp like the tds?

Cheers guys :)

:cool

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Good question:thumbsup

I have a 325tds and I don't know the answer to this:frown

I know mine has an inter cooler and I'm quite sure that yours does not.

Would you like to PM me the last 7 digits of your chassis number and I'll compare the two vehicles.:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
It must be mapped differently too I imagine???:confused

It's hard to find out much information on these engines unfortunately:frown

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
It must be mapped differently too I imagine???:confused

It's hard to find out much information on these engines unfortunately:frown
There is not much info at all:frown
All i know is that the Tds was fitted into the 5 series first. Ill check in the diesel data book on mon if they run different types management system. :confused

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I have just checked realoem and compared the part numbers for the DDE (ECU), fuel pressure sensor and diesel pump and they appear to have different part numbers.

It would be interesting to know what parts would be required to turn a td into a tds:hihi

Marc, does your engine have a mechanical diesel pump fitted to the engine? It's just beneath the inlet manifold and looks like this (Inlet manifold is removed so easier to get a picture)

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
The 325td
Pump Make- Bosch
Type -VER 300-1/575
Bosch Part no - 0 460 406 995
OR - 0 460 406 993
Injectors - Bosch 0 432 217 223

The 325 tds
Pump Make- Bosch
Type - VER 515
Bosch Part no- 0 460 406 994

Injectors - Bosch 0 432 217 223

Oil pressure, turbo boost pressure and compression pressure are all the same. :thumbsup

·
Registered
584 Posts
Your pump is not mechanical,no throttle cable, its all controlled inside electrically by the cars ecu,commonly known as 'fly by wire',the square block that is half hidden in the picture by the hose has a round multi plug on about eight inches of thick cable,if you look down at engine block you will see where it joins,it has a round cap similar to the one the diagnostic plug has but smaller.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Sounds like you would need the pump that bolts to the engine but this would be a huge cost.

I have recently changed the engine in mine because the pump had gone and it worked out cheaper to swap a complete engine and pump in rather than just replace the pump.

I paid £525 including carriage and fitted myself:thumbsup

·
Registered
584 Posts
28 more horsepower from the tds with the intercooler,not sure of the torque figures though and that is where the main difference will be.You could maybe tweak the wastegate on the td to get a bit more out of it but keep an eye on coolant temperatures.I have no idea what kind of pressure these engines run on full boost,but presume if you fitted a pressure gauge and took a reading then altered waste gate to give say 10/15% more the software should have enough scope to deal with it.These engines are well known for cooking if they get to hot,may be why Bmw went the intercooler route to keep combustion temps down.Fitting a tds intercooler cannot hurt the td at all,and with a boost increase you should see some thing like the tds puts out.These pumps are numbered to ecu,in Steve23002's post you can see the pump numbers at the end of bosch part number,last three digits ie 994 /993 / 995.I wonder if a correctly numbered pump from a td would run on a tds or indeed if there are differences internally,I would presume if right numbered pump they should run as the tds extra 28 horses should be well in the pumps scope,the ecu having different software to run air temp/fuelling.Range rover/land rover forums are good on info on these engines as they were fitted to these models,it is where I found the most info when my pump packed up about 2 years ago.My brother in law reckons you can take a numbered Bmw pump and it will work without question on the Vauxhall Omega,some one he knows changed one and the car runs ??,he questioned this and was told any bmw pump will run on them,does not matter about coding numbers on the Vauxhalls.On a Bmw you can change a pump and the relevant ecu,and the autobox ecu as these are linked (coded) but I read somewhere that the different numbers also relate to the engine sensors operating at different voltages.A post recently where the pump and ecu were changed and the temp gauge read full hot etc and dash mpg gauge or obc said silly mpg which may mean dash instruments or throttle pedal pot need changing as well.As A20RYM stated it is hard to find any info on these engines,but try the land rover forums as lots of info on them if you have a few hours to search.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Vauxhall Omega has a BMW 2.5 td engine, at least some do. Hence the pump should work.

As my user name suggests my 325tds has been chipped to take it from 143t to 173 bhp (i.e. 30bhp inc), no idea of the torque. This may be another suitable route to a more powerful engine. The effect of the re-map is awesome throughout the the power range, take off is also very quick. All information 'I read out there' will tell you to get this done by a reputable tuning company. This come in at about £350-500. An 'I'm feeling lucky' produced this http://www.more-bhp.com/3-series/bmw-e36-325-td-115-remap.html taking the 115 to 142 bhp. Only :) £249. I do not know the company, thus cannot recommend them over any other.

However, if you take this route, or others - Iguess, you have to be more careful with the engine, I was advised to keep the oil between the low marker and mid range. Hence you must track it more often. You should also be ready to change it every 10,000 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.