BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have another thread here with more info about the car but wanted to start a new one as i need more people to see it and possibly someone can help me.

Basically i had a use of my friends garage today so i changed the oil and filters but i noticed a pretty large amount of oil on the oil pan etc ( see pic - https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjae2wyop1deaz6/20170225_121444.jpg?dl=0 ) my friend's a mechanic but not that experienced with BMW he said it might be the oil pan gasket im really not sure so i wanted to ask here im sure someone had the same issue its pretty much only on the bottom the top is nice and dry and its the passenger side that it must be leaking from cause the drivers side is pretty dry only a little bit of oil and that imo is from the valve cover gasket which was leaking but i replaced that few days ago already so thats good.

Also my check engine light came on few days ago then went away and then again came back so i read the codes and these are as shown on the pic - https://www.dropbox.com/s/wx6m4op4h0m8eoa/20170225_123742.jpg?dl=0, i read someone had these codes and replaced many things and codes just kept coming back and i dont really want that to happen so if someone could tell me how to find out what it is i mean there should be a way to find out ?

With the air flow sensor its affecting the driving i didnt notice it much at first thought its just how automatic should be cause i never had one but noticed that even when i put the car in ''manual'' mode it takes a few seconds if i put my foot down from 2000rpm to 3k its like choking a little bit.

Any help would be appreciated , thank you.

·
5,877 Posts
Power steering fluid is red in colour,check the oil filter housing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I was under the car today and checked all things that i could get to and cannot figure out where the leak is coming from i wiped most of the oil off and will check again tmw hopefully it will be easier to find it then. Regarding the fault codes the maf is okay i think cause i disconnected it today and still the car does the same thing what it does is that for example if im in 2nd gear and put my foot down it goes to 3k rpm then drops to like 2700rpm then goes back up but slowlytill its iver 3500rpm then it flies. I will check the injectors tmw. I recorded a video of under the car will upload here tmw its all more visible there.

·
Registered
962 Posts
As edber says, check the oil filter housing first.

My money's on the sump gasket though, which is a nightmare job as the subframe has to come off. There are guides out there showing you how to cut the gasket into strips so that that's not necessary, if you prefer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Thomas, I am worried if it is the gasket cause i wont be able to do that myself i read about the cutting aswell but im pretty sure theres still some parts in the way ? And i did check the oil filter housing and its completely dry ill upload the video tomorrow that might help cause its all in detail on it. But the leak must be really tiny tho cause ive done 100 miles since changing oil and its still exactly the same but when u look at it it looks like its a huge leak cause all the parts are covered in fresh oil well i wiped it off so will see tmw if there will be a lot of it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It's hard to say. The engine mount has it a lot worse than I'd expected.

When you checked the oil filter housing did you check where it meets the block? Search for E46 oil filter housing gasket to see where that would manifest, it's not just where the plastic cap screws into it.

The AC compressor is pretty covered in it, can you see where that might be getting wet from?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you checked the oil filter housing did you check where it meets the block? Search for E46 oil filter housing gasket to see where that would manifest, it's not just where the plastic cap screws into it.

I checked again yesterday and tbh i cant figure out for sure where it is leaking from, i checked the oil filter housing and there didnt seem to be any fresh oil i figured it was wet from the valve cover gasket that was leaking badly when i bought the car but i replaced it 2 days after i had it i also checked the oil and it seems to be still the same after nearly a week and around 150miles and i was under the car again and noticed that a new oil is around the ps pump the AC compressor i cant figure that out i think it may be leaking from few spots propably the oil pan gasket on one side, oil filter housing may be leaking aswell a little bit, ps pump and somewhere above the AC compressor but dont know where?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h1bx1gvda0lems/20170226_115049.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tri9vuze1gncj6/Screenshot_20170301-115806.png?dl=0

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im pretty sure the ps pump is leaking cause if i turn the steering wheel while stationary the rpm's drop a lot i know all cars do this to some extend but none of the cars i ever had ( around 15 ) did it so much that you would think its going to stall.

Also just realized that there wasnt any new oil around the sump plug after i wiped the oil off few days ago there isnt any new oil yet that confuses me tho cause if the oil sump gasket was leaking it would definetely be around the plug aswell if it was there few days ago before i wiped it off where did it come from then. It must be a small leak i think but its annoying cause i like my cars to be taken care of and driving around knowing i have an oil leaking no matter how small is just making my OCD go crazy. I'll be trying to figure this out for a few more days myself with the help from someone here and if i wont be able to find the problem ill just find some bmw mechanic around but would like to figure it out myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts