BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

325Ci appalling fuel consumption

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  payno 
#1 ·
So I've had my 325Ci coupe a month or something now and the fuel consumption is freaking terrible. I mean, it makes a lovely sound this car but the performance doesn't come with it and the fuel consumption is dire. I'm finding it hard to find reasons to keep this car.

It's a 2003 325ci auto coupe
It's done 123k miles

I've put Millers octane boost in it and a good few tanks of super but made no difference. The car is stock.

I only work 10 mins from home but even tickling the gas it's still crap.

I have had 30 odd cars in my time so I know a thing or 2 but I'm sure it shouldn't be this bad.

Throwing up no codes.

#4 ·
What sort of mpg are you getting? I have had a car with the same engine albeit a manual gearbox. I could get 26 -28 mpg urban if I took it really steady and 40 mpg on a run but realistically late 30s once I got bored sticking to 70 mph.

#10 ·
my 5 pot focus st only averaged 20 mpg all driving/mixed..and that was considered good...cars need driven so mpg will suffer..it was running over 300 bhp ..so easy driving would have helped mpg,,21 mpg around town sounds really good to me with auto box...what were you expecting...the figures on auto trader etc are pie in the sky for every car..its what helps sells them..anyway enjoy the car..ps also this weather will drop it 2-3 mpg..heaters/aircon etc etc etc,,,also make sure your temp is good..test via hidden menu coolant temp test.

#15 ·
The gauge is worthless in that respect as its not actually a proper temp gauge

Here is a comparison of a real gauge fitted to a old non ECU car v a ECU car

Non ECU at 1/4 on gauge ECU car will be at 1/2 way

Non ECU at 1/2 on gauge ECU car at 1/2 way

Non ECU at 3/4 on gauge ECU car at 1/2 way

So as you can see from 1/4 to 3/4 on the temp gauge your car will show 1/2 way on the gauge so I doubt your car is at full temp in 1 min ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.