BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right,
Just setting up a thread, so i can add bits as i go along.
Starting life as a 1999 323SEi in steel grey.
Bought on 124,000 miles, for £1300 so it needs a bit of TLC.

Paint is good, one small dent in the o/s rear quarter, that looks like a job for the hairdryer and cold spray....:D
18" multispoke wheels, that need refurbing as 3 of them have gone porous.

Tramlines better then a train, so bushes all round need changing.

Orange indicators on all corners, grim looking dark blue cloth interior, with a distinct lack of toys to play with. Steering wheel has no buttons!! :mad

Changed the thermostat already (but they have a habit of dying on these engines anyway, dont they?)

Will wash and take some pics to put up.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quarry motors ROCK! WIll post up pics when i get home, but i now have an early E46 sheild airbagged steering wheel with buttons!! Wooo!
Fitting at the weekend...

Clear side repeaters and clear front indicators are now installed. Pics to follow as i keep forgetting to take pictures...:)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a name for her... "isabella"

Isabella is now trying my patience a touch as we have an MOT tomorrow morning and this evening, just to get to me, the airbag light comes on. FFS!
Installed the steering wheel on saturday, all was well, the buttons not working (assume programming is needed) and now this. oh well...
So far:
Insurance £400
MOT £45
Work for passing the MOT? £eek
Tax at the end of february.
Inspection 1 due now too.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
She failed. Rofl...:D

Figured she would. Front track control arm bushes x2 and rear trailing arm bushes x2.
About 10mm movement in the fronts in all directions....Polyurethane here we come...:D

66mm bushings too. Looks like the replacement arms in the service history had 66mm ones on. :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And Poly bushes applied. Yay! Found the front offside wheel arch liner and brake cooling duct smashed to pieces from hitting a badger on the way home (yes, it got up and walked off again) from work...:(
Not an easy job on the fronts, as they absolutely refused to come off the track control arms! Dagnammit!
Rear ones are really easy, arent they?
Off for a 4 wheel alignment this week (should it stop snowing!) so i'll post up a before and after along with some pictures (dirty snow..:()

·
Registered
38 Posts
well now you've had some practice, I need to do my front lower control arm so you can give us a hand :D
specially as I haven't even seen your car yet!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, the bloke wanted rid as he had too many motors and i think his mrs was giving him earache..:D
Off to Elite in rainham in a minute to get all 4 wheels pointing the same way...

Eeek....

ah, thats better....

The bloke who did it for me also pointed out that my anti roll bar bushes were flappier than my ex wife...Time for some more powerflex methinks... :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally!

Right, me and tha camera got busy this afternoon...Its not concourse clean, but then it never will be!!

And the nasty wheels...:(

·
Registered
183 Posts
hi mate, BTW that is a really good price you got for a car that nice. thats the same as i got my 7er for.

as for your steering wheel buttons, there should be a MFL Modal that recives the signal from your steering wheel via the slip ring then the MFL Modal sends it to your stereo. You need to check that you have a wire conected to what this pin should go into on the harnes on the car behined the stereo ( might have the wrong pin but i or someone else will correct me later).

good luck:thumbsup

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Minor update:

Still tramlining like a beeehitch. Damned thing. Anti roll bar bushes on order, and possibly two slow punctures to sort out. Tyre pressures doing all sorts of weird things.
De-golf tee modded too, and feels like some torque has returned. Probably psychological though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Minor update:

Still tramlining like a beeehitch. Damned thing. Anti roll bar bushes on order, and possibly two slow punctures to sort out. Tyre pressures doing all sorts of weird things.
De-golf tee modded too, and feels like some torque has returned. Probably psychological though.
Whats the de glolf tee mod?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found it over on E46 fanatics...the exhaust pipe has a flap in the offside exit and a small diaphragm connected to a pipe. If you disconnect and plug the pipe (with something about the same size as a golf tee--hence the name :)) it stays open. Makes a little bit of difference to the noise as its just there to reduce noise in town. Plugged mine for a while but when i put it back on it seemed to gain some bottom end again.
Might just be psychological though..:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so antiroll bar bushes turned up today. They look like theyre gonna be fun to fit!!!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Ok, so antiroll bar bushes turned up today. They look like theyre gonna be fun to fit!!!
Oh they sure can be:hihi

Did you get fronts and rears?

May as well do the links while you're at it... Thinking about it... why not bang in some uprated Eibach anti roll bars too:rofl They're awesome:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 71 Posts