BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi looking for some help, i have a 96 323i and the other day the light for the milage and trip milage (in the display screen) went out, any ideas what would have caused this and how to fix it? it is only the milage light that went out, the light to display "service" still lights up so thats what has confused me, all the other dash lights are working perfectly.

also how do you reset the service on the car without plugging it into a computer as i only serviced the car last week but cant figure out how to reset the service.
thanks for your help

·
Registered
216 Posts
If the mileage display has gone out (or gone very dim) there are 2 bulbs in the back of the cluster that will require replacement.
You can remove the cluster easily enough;

Remove the 2 screws on the top edge, these will either be torx or philips (I have 2 E36s and they are both different..)

Carefully slide something flat between the top of the cluster and the housing until you can grab the cluster and draw it towards you, careful not to slip and scratch the clear plastic here.

Remove the 3 plugs from the rear, the clips are a bit fiddly and the hardest part of this job

By manipulating the position of the steering wheel (easier if you have height adjustment and move it to the lowest position beforehand too) you can remove the cluster without taking the steering wheel off.

Once the cluster is out it should be obvious which bulbs you need to replace (one or both) due to their position and the holders are also a different colour.

Really good guide covering resetting of the service lights;

e36_reset_service_lights

You can pick up a device off Ebay that will reset the lights if you don't fancy messing around, they're not much (I borrow a mate's though lol)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts