BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My e46 started knocking yesterday, I thought it was just vanos and ignored it as I plan rebuilding it soon but today it's noticeably louder and coming from the block itself somewhere, I'm not sure if there's something broken/worn internally or if it's just a manifold or gasket leak so I'm hoping this video might help someone point me in the right direction.... Engine still runs smooth as silk and doesn't feel down on power at all.

Sorry for the dodgy video lol.

Edit, video in the comments.

·
Vendor
4,284 Posts
Check your spark plugs are not loose 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to be coming from further down the block. Realised I've been getting a really strong smell of fuel on start up and in traffic especially when cold recently so I'm leaning towards manifold gasket or something around there. Also only makes that noise when warm. Been abusing it like mad last few days to see if it'll break and hasn't gotten any worse so I'm not worried lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you actually checked the spark plugs. Mine sounded exactly like that and it was number 6 plug (rear one) that was half a turn loose. It's a common problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had once on my motorcycle the similar sound, it was random, and not as loud, first i thougt it was cam chain tightner, but after sound became a bit louder and i actually was able to check the tightner, i found out that one of spark plugs was loos. Start with checking them, If it is not, then take some longe metal tool og just a pipe, take one end to the ear and another to the engin, then search from where sound does come. Rememeber to be safe when you do it. like no long fluffy clothes or long hear near rotating part of the engine. Have fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll check the plugs tomorrow, they could probably do with being changed anyway I suppose lol. I have no flexi pipe on my exhaust and the strong smell of petrol so that's why I was drawn towards that.
Thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts