BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, previously I've had a 2005 330d tourer, which had rear arch rust and eventually sold it when the torque converter started to fail. I'm thinking if getting a 325i or a 320i manual tourer. I do a 50 mile round trip for work. I'm looking at spending about 6-8kish. Any advise what age car would be better choice than my previous bmw? Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
The 320i is a 4 cylinder engine (older E46 had 6 cylinder) so in comparison to your old 6 cylinder it would feel really weak. Go with the 325i 2006 up to 2013. Bit of a fuel drinker though (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the reply. Age I've seen both 320i and 325i are between 2006 and say 2008 ish for between 6-8k. Are they all the same body wise, as in equally prone to rust? My only 330d went on the rear arch which I think is common due to the arch liner. Would any age be best engine wise, or all the same at those years tax & bhp wise, when you say thirsty- what we looking at. I do all bypass 25miles to work, the 320i alot more mpg? Sorry for asking alot.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Arches tend to rust most cars hitting curbs, suspension being low, stones taking off paint then it gets wet. The 320i gets between 30 - 40 mpg, it has the 4 pot engine N46 it can be a bit finnicky as it's similar to the N43. The N52 or N53 is on the 325i 6 pot, dont know about its mpg.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Definitely go for the 325i 6 cylinder.

Earlier cars had the N52 engine but your budget would get the N53 which is lower tax and better mpg. My N53 coupe averages 35mpg which for a 3.0 petrol is very good indeed. If you're looking at the N53 cars then check they have had the fuel injectors replaced with the latest index 11 ones as it's an expensive job and very common.

·
Registered
295 Posts
E90 series cars are much more resistant to rust than E46s, which are well known for sill/arch issues. So any E9x car will be an improvement in that respect, regardless of body style or year. It tends to be more electrical niggles that afflict E90s, so make sure everything works and check that all the dash lights illuminate on start up then go out correctly!

The 6-cylinders are generally more robust than the 4s. They sound nicer too, but around 5-10mpg less economical depending on driving style.
The 320i should average around 38-42mpg, 325i around 32-36, but can easily better 40mpg on the motorway.

The later model 325i (2008MY onward I believe) actually uses the same 3.0 engine as the 330i but in a lower state of tune. It has the same power as the 2.5 version but significantly more torque so is probably the one to go for.
As a previous poster said, coming out of a 330d I think you might find the 320i feels gutless in comparison, so go for a 325i or 330i. They are significantly faster and the economy penalty is only marginal.
£6-8k will get you a well looked after post facelift or "LCI" ( 08 reg onwards I think) car with low-ish mileage. However the majority of cars out there will be diesels so you might have to look a bit further afield if you are set on a petrol.
However the good news is that they tend to be the better looked after cars - So many of the diesels end up in the hands of idiots who gut the DPF system, remap them to death and run them into the ground before flogging them, by which point they will need something like £3000 worth of work to put right! :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts