BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my e46 320d nice now but am concerned about the swirl flaps issue,was quoted £200 for the job but noticed the blanks were just a tenner on ebay ?.How hard is this job guys to do with above basic mech skills? Or is there anybody in the Suffolk area fancys a drink to help me do it ??.
I'd appreciatte any advice.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm getting my e46 320d nice now but am concerned about the swirl flaps issue,was quoted £200 for the job but noticed the blanks were just a tenner on ebay .How hard is this job guys to do with above basic mech skills? Or is there anybody in the Suffolk area fancys a drink to help me do it .
I'd appreciatte any advice.
Wow, what a bunch of thieves. The job is very easy, if you manage to pee by yourself you should be able to manage it in an hour or two.

Just use a Torx screw driver to get the bay at the back of the engine off. Its held on by 4 bolts. Take off the engine covers using a hex screwdriver. Then use a regular socket to get the EGR valve off, that's also held on by 4 screws and then take the intake off which is also held in by like 4 or 8 screws. One of the screws on the engine covers and also on the manifold is at the back, it'll help to have a little mirror handy.

Just be careful when taking the manifold off. There are gaskets on the ports which you don't want to drop in to the engine bay, and also be very carefull not to drop anything in to the intake ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvbIvDbt-pg

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm planning to do this too, unfortunately not so local otherwise happy to help. It looks straightforward enough. Save yourself £170. Spend 2hrs and there is kit available for £30 for 4x swirl flaps and gaskets.
Keep a flexible magnetic pick-up tool handy and use copper grease to pack out your sockets on difficult to reach bolts, for example the EGR has 2x underneath that you don't want to drop into the bay.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Keep a flexible magnetic pick-up tool handy and use copper grease to pack out your sockets on difficult to reach bolts, for example the EGR has 2x underneath that you don't want to drop into the bay.
Easier to remove the manifold with the EGR valve still intact. Just remove boost hose, EGR exhaust clamp and vacuum hose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys,as the EGR has got to come off is it worth deleting this,I see theres cheap kits on ebay to do this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive got the blanks and intend to do this job soon,just a quick question do you use the screws that hold the swirl flaps in place for blanks fitting,I saw somebody online using bolts to fit the blanks??.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Don't forget to leave the actuator arm on and the vacuum pipe attached as you found it or you will get the eml light on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts