BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an E90 320d with the M47 lump in it. I've noticed a deteriorating injector on cylinder 2 for a couple of years now and the winter just gone, the car has started to throw rough running codes when it's freezing cold.

I've done the glow plugs, controllers etc which has helped a little but not completely - hence the rough running code.

After looking at INPA I noticed it was running at +4 under selective massive and the others around zero.

I ordered a reconditioned injector from a reputable source it came, fitted it with a new washer and cleaned the port thoroughly. INPA was displaying -4. I sent it back as he didn't send me a calibration report.

Second reconditioned injector from a different company has arrived, with a fully calibrated report from a Bosch calibration machine and I'm getting the below on cold start.....it's not running rough and it's not smoking though.

After running the car to 85 degrees it settles at -0.5.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? Is it simply because the other injectors are old and this is new?

I coded it via ISTA. I've tried it with the MAF unplugged.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You need to reset the adaptation values you can do it with isda in service functions, google it. The ecu is compensating for the old bad injector i suspect. It resets the smooth running value to default.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running ISTA 4.28.42 and after watching a couple of videos I cannot see an option under adaptations to do the reset.

Is it not available in certain versions of ISTA?

I tried coding to my injector to AAAAAEE out if curiosity and ISTA would not save it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You said up top you used ISTA to code your injector? Now are you saying you can not code your injector with ISTA? I think you would need ISTA D, not ISTA +

The engine should not be running when you do it.

I use DIS not ISTA, what about Inpa?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use ISTA and have INPA. INPA and ISTA will not accept the Bosch AAAAAEE injector code recommended for refurbed injectors. It does accept the injectors actual code printed on it though.

I can't find any option to clear my Adaptions. I have tried 2 different versions of INPA and under ISTA the option doesn't exist 😳

·
Registered
168 Posts
I stopped using inpa when i updated it years ago and it was in German. What version inpa are you using?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm using version 5.0.6.

I'd expect the latest version of ISTA have what I need but it doesn't show under diesel, adjustments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I do not know about your version of ISTA, on other forums they say ISTA-D is required for the E series but i do not know from experience.

What about in inpa - F4 Error memory, Is F7 Adaption not listed?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do not know about your version of ISTA, on other forums they say ISTA-D is required for the E series but i do not know from experience.

What about in inpa - F4 Error memory, Is F7 Adaption not listed?
I'll download ISTA-D in a bit and give it a go.

F7 isn't there, there's a gap on the page where it should be :confused:

·
Registered
255 Posts
You need to swap your injectors around and find out if the correction values move with the injectors, I doubt that they will as i suspect cylinder 2 is underperforming for a different reason and the selective mass adjustment is adjusting the injection duration to try and compensate, the only adjustments you can make is by coding the new number, there are no adaptation values to be cleared with injectors, although there is with a replacement Maf.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You need to swap your injectors around and find out if the correction values move with the injectors, I doubt that they will as i suspect cylinder 2 is underperforming for a different reason and the selective mass adjustment is adjusting the injection duration to try and compensate, the only adjustments you can make is by coding the new number, there are no adaptation values to be cleared with injectors, although there is with a replacement Maf.
Cylinder 2 was causing the rough running fault code on the old injector as it was overfuelling. Now it's gone completely polar opposite.

I took it for a drive earlier and noticed cylinder 4 is creeping right up to nearly +3 under throttle and cylinder 2 down to -4.

·
Registered
255 Posts
How are you so sure cylinder 2 was overfuelling? you can't automatically blame the injector just because you have a rough running fault.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How are you so sure cylinder 2 was overfuelling? you can't automatically blame the injector just because you have a rough running fault.
It was throwing the rough running fault on cold winter mornings.

On normal mornings I get a rough idle for 10 seconds and a puff of blue smoke. It's selective though.

Injector 2 was going right up to +4 when running with mass adjustment turned off.

Surely if it was running low on compression it would run like crap all the time?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are there any glowplug faults?
Nope, I replaced the plugs and controllers 6 months ago.

I've had the shakey start and smoke since I've had it. Must be 7 years now and always blamed the glow plugs and controller as it always happened on cold winter mornings.

It now seems to do it all year round but it's not consistent. One day it'll do it. One day it won't.

·
Registered
255 Posts
How many miles? Is it tappety on a cold start? I’d still move the injectors around see if the fault follows the injector.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How many miles? Is it tappety on a cold start? I’d still move the injectors around see if the fault follows the injector.
174,000. Yes very, sounds like it's pinking to me.

I bought a used injector off eBay and the car started and idled perfectly.

Under acceleration it was missing really bad and cylinder 2 was going off the scale over fuelling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts