BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

320d starter motor replacement

23K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mikle85 
#1 ·
hi
i had the car intermittently start only to 2nd attempt for 2 months or so, but it was occasional. this morning i had to try it quite a few times and i heard clicking from the gearbox passenger side, i could actually felt it trough the gear lever.

So i couldn't find any diy for the 2L diesel's starter replacement. Is anyone changed starter on these? my question is can it be done with the manifold off or it needs to be done underneath/under bonnet?

#2 ·
First are you sure it's the starter and not the battery or a bad engine earth.
If it is the starter then it's accessed from under the car .
You will at least need decent torx sockets , very long extension bars and a decent long breaker bar.
Be aware these bolts can be VERY tight so you need to be standing up to work on the car from the underneath .
Please follow the usual safety advice regarding battery disconnection

#6 ·
i have done it today. the size of the torx bolts were e12, not 14, they were a bit tight but not too bad (depends on how they were done up at a clutch job) took some time to play the starter out, i ended up move it down next to the gearbox and then pulled it up, it helps if you disconnect some water hoses out of the way, probably easier to do it from under the car (just like the workshop manual says), but more than enough space to get to the bolts. the electrical wires another topic, not too hard but a variety of extensions and knuckle joints needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.