BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the site. Just taken off my intake manifold to check that previous owner was telling the truth about swirl flap delete, luckily he was!

However intake is caked (not bad for 200k though) and want to give it a clean, anybody done this first hand? Had a quote from local engine rebuilders who will clean it for 30 notes but want to try any home remedies first.

Cheeers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
if they are taking it off then cleaning it ,,then £30 is really cheap,,but any parts cleaner liquid would be fine,,or some cheap bottle of coca cola,,some use mr muscle also..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should of said I took it off so it would be £30 for me to give it to them to clean. I dont mind that price but id expect it to be spotless.

Im going to give caustic soda a try today and then mr muscle foam if that fails. Ive had it soaking in fairy liquid all night but I doubt thats going to shift anythingn

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jesus what a palava to get some caustic soda.. b&q, homebase, superstores, DIY shops didnt have it! Had to drive a fair whack to a Eurocarparts but finally intakes soaking.

Literally started fizzing as soon as I dipped it into the tank and the solution was turning black, hopefully does the job!

Cant get another bottle until Monday now but not in rush, can use the missus Cooper S in the mean time ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Results after a 5 hour soak and a 10 minute power wash down, i wish I had taken photos before and the difference is night and day!

Will let it dry over night indoors and then rebuild it tommorrow. My 200k miles engine will be breathing alot better from now on.

Caustic soda for the win.. for reference I used a 500g bottle from Euro car parts and mixed it up with approximately 15 to 20 litres of hot water from the tap and it was fully submerged for the whole 5 hours

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good job man. My mrs 320d had the same when I took out the swirl flaps. The manifold was caked, but I didnt have a day to soak it so it went back together as is. I read somewhere that you could soak it in diesel overnight and it comes out good.

Guessing caustic soda is cheaper?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did read about diesel and petrol but I was concerned about disposing fuel.. it was £1.99 for 500g and mixed with 20 litres so it works out roughly 10p a litre compared to whatever diesel is nowadays.

Worth doing if you can spare without the car for a couple days dude

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ate there any metal components on the manifold? Caustic soda corrodes steel, although stainless is fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took everything I could off (gaskets, bolts, sensors) but had no choice but to leave the brass fittings for the EGR valve and they were totally fine once I rinsed and dried it all out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts