BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the site, apologies for the brief introduction, any advice would be much appreciated.

I am the proud owner on a 2002 E46 320D SE Touring Auto, 168,500 miles.

The car seems to have three issues - I've tried to add as much detail as possible.

1. The car vibrates at idle, over 850 / 900 rpm, the vibration disappears completely irrespective of engine temperature - start from cold or engine at operating temperature.

Having inspected further, I find Diesel is leaking around the top of the engine seems to be from the Pressure Hose, if the Pressure hose it letting air in or leaking could this be the reason for the rough idle? The vibration seems to come from the top of the engine as opposed to the bottom.

I have also had a look at engine mounts, they show no sign of leaking, unless all the oil has leaked out of them and they are clean.

2. On acceleration, from around 35 (uphill) / 40 mph (flat) to 65 / 70 mph, (especially when using cruise control acceleration on the Steering wheel ((MFSW)) as this is when I noticed the vibration and its is only apparent at lower rpm - say 1,500 to 2,200. If the auto box kicks down a gear there is no vibration, however the auto box only kicks down if put my foot down) I get a vibration / judder, very much like the vibration / judder you get when approaching a traffic circle on a motorway from the warning / rough road to alert you. At first I thought I was hearing that same sound, however I have come to the understanding that it was not road noise but vibration, only at low engine rpm, perhaps like the engine is straining. However the car is not loaded, just one light passenger.

3. there seems to be oil at the bottom of the diff, are these known to leak? Could a leaking diff cause / contribute to the above vibration?

Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated.

S

·
5,888 Posts
Passenger side shaft output seal is prone to weeping on the diff,easy enough diy but a seal extractor will ease the job greatly.
I did things the hard way ofcourse.Part number 14 here is what you need if diff is leaking.
RealOEM.com   BMW E46 320d DIFFERENTIAL-DRIVE/OUTPUT

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
auto's dont have DMF's...cattle grid effect is indicitive of a failing torque converter...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Damn, didn't see "auto" in the description, my bad.
So it may be the TC. Or the mounts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts