BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at possibly getting a 320d and chipping it rather than getting the 330d to save quite a few bucks. I've seen a bunch of the sites say they can get the 163bhp to 200HP and the 177bhp to 220ish. I.e. www.evo-s.co.uk

So the question I've got then is, what exactly is the chipping doing and is it destroying the engine / tranny while using it? I'm guessing it's upping some pressure somewhere, but if it was safe to do wouldn't BMW have done this in the first place? Does the chipping work as well as it seems to in those graphs? I'm not going to be getting a car with warranty so I'm not that worried about it.

Last question, would I have to disclose that I had a chip in the car to an insurance company?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a read here on the FAO's section http://www.motechperformance.co.uk/
Essentially what all the FAQ's say the same thing, it can reduce engine life if you're a muppet and are flooring it all the time when cold. However, if you use it only once and a while it's all good.

One thing that still leaves me a bit confused is how they manage to get more MPG. I suppose if they are increasing the boost from the turbo at normal load then there would be higher compression, thus a slight increase in efficiency. However, this means that the former comment (i.e. only driving as a muppet results in increased wear) is not quite true.

So has anyone on here chipped their 320d and driven a 330d? I'm wondering how much pep the chip gives to day-to-day use. Still leaning towards a 330d, though now have recently thought about chipping even that :hihi

·
Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
1,227 Posts
We have a 320d 163 the same as your's .

With our re-maps the extra power only come's in after 50% load and power.. But doing the map like this you only use the power as a tool , I.E to get you to the speeds needed and there when you want it to be. How is save's on fuel , Well your not using the box so much to you can use the in gear power etc.. The feel of our car just helps every day driving. On the estate were the unit is there is some speed ramps there car would go over them in 2nd just but now feels a lot happy to do so now.. The every day driving is so much improved from over taking to pull out etc...

here at Motech we upload to new file to the car and go for a drive with you to make sure its what your looking for before you hand over any money . The we also offer 14 days money back guaranty too..

As for the 330d there very nice to tune but being the 6cly there not as good on fuel...

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks Mike

Oh read in the news section on the site we did a news paper car..Might help too

·
Registered
352 Posts
My 120d 163 is re-mapped by upsolute - used them on my last 4 TDi's. Even my Dad uses them

It's very quick right through the rev range and was completely changed
Power and Torque gains were same as Motech but quite a bit cheaper from what I can see on website.

UK agent, Simon is very helpful - give him a call for a quote
All BMW's get s custom map - he takes copy of your DDE program
sends it to Austria for 'mod' and loads it back to car and goes on test drive with you to make sure you are happy

·
Registered
352 Posts
Been looking at possibly getting a 320d and chipping it rather than getting the 330d to save quite a few bucks. I've seen a bunch of the sites say they can get the 163bhp to 200HP and the 177bhp to 220ish. I.e. www.evo-s.co.uk

So the question I've got then is, what exactly is the chipping doing and is it destroying the engine / tranny while using it? I'm guessing it's upping some pressure somewhere, but if it was safe to do wouldn't BMW have done this in the first place? Does the chipping work as well as it seems to in those graphs? I'm not going to be getting a car with warranty so I'm not that worried about it.

Last question, would I have to disclose that I had a chip in the car to an insurance company?
as already mentioned ....if you drive your car to the limits in std form it WILL break. More torque actually means that you don't need to work the engine so hard. Re-mapping is a combination of boost increase, injection timing and fuelling parameters. All tweaks should be only marginal so that components involved are not compromised.

Before I got my first car done (Seat Ibiza TDi Sport 110) I had used tuning boxes which are ok but very simple signal amplifying devices. Chip gave this car more smooth and useable power. So once you've tried it you'll understand how good your car can be .....first thing I think about when buying new car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts