BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I had bought my car in 2014 I think with 56k on the clock . It's done 156k miles and has been serviced every 10k miles there abouts

Had an issue with turbo when I bought it 4 years ago which was sorted under warranty, I did notice mass fly wheel slight noise after driving around for a few months after that, this was HALF way down the clutch pedal push But never became an issue.

Fast forward through a few years of problems like maf and glow plugs,

Last Wednesday my car starting having trouble starting, the stop start would not engage even though the clutch pedal was pushed. This was frequent. Had to get a jump start on at one point , fob was in, ignition on, press's button with clutch down.... You would get to a position on the full push where it may or may not work.

At this point when I did get it started there was some weird mechanical noises when I would change gear and press the clutch back fully (like you would do with starting the engine). Heard some high pitched sounds and like clicking noises

Fast forward last day. Car was struggling . Final ball in eve could not get it started , not trying nothing to tick over , no ignition clicks , at home so had to get RAC to tow it

It's at a good well known garage, but ATM he's checked down and can see feed in to starter motor, there is something in between?

Could this be a major clutch or dual mass fly wheel ? Can someone tell me usual repair costs are (estimated fine) for each

Clutch failure repair

Dual mass flywheel repair

Starter motor?

Any else could think what it maybe? No codes relevant but sounds a mixture of mechanical+ electrical

I will have an update tomorrow

Usually garages have a £45-60 labour charge , parts and VAT

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the DMF and clutch done at my preferred garage at a cost of £800 a couple of months ago. I could have got it for £750 but hadn't used the other garage before. It's a 2006 E90 318d. It didn't seem worth doing just the DMF on it's own and then the clutch later as would cost more in labour

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The garage I had it towed to. They are reputable but not sure about the cost!

The clutch master/slave cylinder needs replacing. I think it was (price excl vat)

£80 for master, £48 something for slave. New dual mass flywheel £287 bolts £16, clutch £203, £450 labour

Then add vat on parts and labour

He said it was coming out around £1350 at an AA approved independant garage on Newport road Cardiff

Does £1350 seem high?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts