BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wanted to see if anyone knew what was happening, when i hit the unlock button all the windows start going down. I have to push the button twice so they dont open, any ideas, thanks Darren:mad

·
Registered
276 Posts
Have you tried a diagnostic scan?

Bluetooth OBD devices are £30-£40 on the internet, otherwise a friendly mechanic with some time on his hands may do the scan for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has your drivers door lock broken? when my door lock broke this happened to me and the only cure was to rebuild the lock. if you do this make sure you use the RHD part of the lock repair kit as I used the LHD part and the windows still went down until I swapped the correct part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi, thanks for your, yes i thought about doing a scan but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas first. By coincidence i tried my drivers lock and it is broken, just spins with the key. Would it be one of the kits that are on ebay to fix? cheers

·
Registered
276 Posts
There is a feature within the OBC (onboard computer) which will wind the windows up/down when the key is held in the lock/unlock position. For example, inserting your key and turning it clockwise will unlock the car, turning it and holding it their will unlock the car and wind down the windows for as long as you hold it. This also goes for the remote diamond key; one press to unlock your car and holding the unlock button will roll the windows down. This also goes for the lock button/holding the key in the lock (counter clockwise possition), only the windows will wind up.

A broken lock barral may be confusing the OBC if it is stuck in the unlock position, it may think you're keeping the key held in that position to make the windows unwind, even if you pressed the button on your remote. The feature can be disabled using an OBD diagnostic tool, otherwise you may need to buy and fit a new lock which I think will be more expensive and time consuming.

Hope this helps
Jay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi mate, dont bother with the diagnostics for now, the kit off ebay to repair the door lock barrel is £4.50 give that a try as it sorted the same problem on my car. :thumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes im going to order the lock repair kit first, would have done it sooner but with using the remote ive never tried unlocking the doors with the key, cheers. will post up how i get on:hihi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi, problem now sorted, i bought the kit from ebay. When i removed the lock there was a piece inside broken in two, i followed the guide on youtube for putting the lock back together, it took two attempts to get right, i used all the original parts and only the broken piece was replaced with the ebay parts, then when refitting the lock to the car i looked in the door and could see that the switch part was turned to the right so i turned it staright before putting the lock back on, now the lock works and my windows dont open when i push the unlock on the remote one time,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi mate, dont bother with the diagnostics for now, the kit off ebay to repair the door lock barrel is £4.50 give that a try as it sorted the same problem on my car. :thumbsup
Perfect, when my door lock broke, luckly when unlocking, all the windows went down. I replaced the battery in the key so I could un/lock it. I've been wondering why when I unlock using the remote all the windows went down. Makes sense now. I've ordered a barrel kit should be here today (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts