BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody could help or have the same problem, i recently got a 320d m sport 163bhp, its advertised as have a combined cycle of 55mpg+, but i have getting low 30's around town and around 38 or 39 on a mixed drive and 44 on the motorway doing 70mph. Is this normal? i was expecting much more as it is advertised as being so much more efficient.

Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
i have the standard msport 320 d and its 150 bhp with the six speed (04 model)and my mpg is pants as well ,if yours is e46 id check the actual running temp as this has an effect on mpg app ,maybe a new thermostat required,do you know how to acess the hidden menu via the comp;)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I was wondering if anybody could help or have the same problem, i recently got a 320d m sport 163bhp, its advertised as have a combined cycle of 55mpg+, but i have getting low 30's around town and around 38 or 39 on a mixed drive and 44 on the motorway doing 70mph. Is this normal? i was expecting much more as it is advertised as being so much more efficient.

Thanks!
Is that based on the OBC values are measured by rim to rim calculation. The OBC is notoriously inaccurate, mine is at least 2-3mpg out, you need to fill the tank, reset the mileage trip and then calculate the mpg and the next fill up.

You will be lucky to get more than 35-40 on town driving and 40-45 on motorway driving, it you drive like a saint at 56mph you will get the 55mpg you would hope for.

·
5,890 Posts
i have the 136bhp 320d and around town she is crap but on motorway at 80 mph + im getting over 50mpg +.example is clonmel to balbriggan and back again on €40 with some left over and thats at mostly 80 mph both ways with a bit of driving in between.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My MPG is also appalling on my E90 320d so much so I want rid of the car, my circumstances have changed and no longer need a diesel anyway.
This tank I was averaging 33mpg around town, I reset the clock on my last journey and drove like a saint and managed to average 41.5mpg which is alot better but who wants to drive like that all the time.

I had my thermostats changed in Nov/Dec just gone so know my car reaches temp ok and I have cleaned my EGR valve. I may change my air filter when the sun comes out as these are a pain to change and apparently left out by some lazy mechanics on services. I'm hoping this will help slightly.

Try searching the forums, there are loads of threads on this with alot of helpful info on parts to check and change to help MPG

My reading is from the OBC as I can't do a brim to empty check as I have a failed fuel tank breather pipe which leaks diesel when too full.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My MPG is also appalling on my E90 320d so much so I want rid of the car, my circumstances have changed and no longer need a diesel anyway.
This tank I was averaging 33mpg around town, I reset the clock on my last journey and drove like a saint and managed to average 41.5mpg which is alot better but who wants to drive like that all the time.

I had my thermostats changed in Nov/Dec just gone so know my car reaches temp ok and I have cleaned my EGR valve. I may change my air filter when the sun comes out as these are a pain to change and apparently left out by some lazy mechanics on services. I'm hoping this will help slightly.
Driving around town in any sizeable car, diesel or petrol is gonna spank the MPG. 33 is perfectly respectable for a 3 series without stop start technology IMO. I roughly get the same in my D3 which is essentially the same engine as yours except with a bigger turbo and remap.

Given the fact that you do much town driving, the efficiency of the new petrol engines and the cost of diesel versus petrol you might be wise switching to a petrol.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Given the fact that you do much town driving, the efficiency of the new petrol engines and the cost of diesel versus petrol you might be wise switching to a petrol.
Second that, diesels engines work best when run at a constant speed, as soon as you increase the revs of a diesel it will burn more fuel (diesel increase power by injecting more diesel and so the turbo is always catching up) and so any kind of town driving will be up and down the gears.

The only reason I own a diesel is the 40k miles of motorway driving I do every year otherwise it would be petrol all the way

·
Registered
72 Posts
It should be a little better than that on the motorway.
I got 50mpg on a 400mile run (53obc) fully loaded (boot and people). I can get a little better if im on my own.
Around town, probably low 40's.
Presumably you've checked your tyre pressures...

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
My 530d has been remapped to 277Bhp and I've just done Essex to Torquay with average speed of 67.5mph and it's returned 46.8mpg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts