BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Guys

318is coupe 1999

Can anyone help me as I have replaced the original electric mirrors with genuine BMW M3 mirrors that have heated glass, the originals were not heated.
The only difference to the wiring that I can see is within the mirror its self, ie:-the black and the brown wires are spurred to the glass as well as the adjusting motor.
But I cannot seem to get the heated glass to work, also is the mirror heating linked to the rear window, or seperate.

Thanks Clive:confused

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
Hi m8, Im not sure how the heating system works, but Ive just ordered some and will be in the same situation as you!

Im not bothered about having them heated though, all Im wondering is do they just plug straight in?
Can you still control them electrically or is the plug different?

Im sure someone with more than my limited knowledge will be along soon:thumbsup

·
Registered
210 Posts
heated mirrors generally work on the same button as the heated rear screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Steveyboy
Thanks for the reply, the M3 mirrors are a direct replacement for the originals, just remove the small plastic trim on the inside of the doors and you can get at the mounting bolts and the wiring plug, about an hours work in all.
let me know how you get on.

Cheers Clive

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Not neccessarily...some BMW models have them on continuously from ignition start.
I think Ronnie knows more about this as I'm sure he has mentioned before that they are controlled by the OBC which obviously monitors displays the outside temeperature. I honestly don't know but it would also make perfect sense if the took a signal from the rear screen:thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The heater control panel IIRC when unplugged turns the heated mirrors and rear screen on unless a fuse is pulled so it must be something to do with the heater control panel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Ronnie, but what exactly is the IIRC?, and where is it situated?

Cheers Clive

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
IIRC just stands for "if i remember correctly" m8:embarrassed

Thanx for the info, Ill let you know how I get on when they arrive (still waiting for them):thumbsup

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had this modification on my list of bits to do, the car I have doesn't have heated mirrors, so I was going to tap in off the rear heater power and add a 2nd switch on the console for them.

I'm also thinking of installing a small timer device, so that both the rear heater and heated mirrors are only on for 5mins at a time, so as not to burn them out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

Just to update you all on my original thread
I had the misfortune to damage the n/s mirror so i got another set of genuine M3 mirrors, it appears that the heated glass is on permanetly on with the ignition on, and works perfectly.
Hope this helps someonelse

1 - 12 of 12 Posts