BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I need to swap out the RCG / VCG on the N42. I done this a few years back on a friends N42 also but was wondering you guys could clear up a few things;

1. Main question being regarding the use of gasket sealant. Right now the existing gasket has some on due to when the ring and seals were done, the garage decided that to use it and reuse the old gasket. Yes I know...
I think if the part is installed properly then why is there a need to use it, or is it best I use a little on the new gasket?

2. Is it worth buying new bolts to fix the cover back in place?

3. I was interested in hearing your opinions on cheaper RCG as the branded or BMW ones seem to cost a hell of a lot. I’m always one to use genuine parts or at least Bosch etc but I figure if a cheap one gets maybe 2 years maybe 3 then I don’t mind repeating the job in a few years.

4. Lastly is it worth doing any other work while the cover is off? I have a feeler gauge and was wondering if it’s work checking / adjusting the valve clearances (if this is relatively easy enough for a kind of competent mechanic)

Thanks for any responses

Lee

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hi take it you mean the cam cover gasket,the gasket set i bought was a elring which came complete with eccentric cam sensor seal & "o" rings for the spark plug tubes (ebay)Make certain no old sealant remains.I put a smear of grease in the cam cover to hold the seal in place,loctite 574 on the half circles (only because i had some) light smear of grease on the other faces.The bolts are shouldered & have a low torque figure don,t snap them no need to replace.
As regards work with the cover off,make sure the spray bar is clear chain guides are good & no broken springs.If it runs as it should leave it alone.Make sure you have the latest cam chain tensioner fitted.These engines require regular oil changes (change mine at 8K)
Regards Chas

1 - 2 of 2 Posts