BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coolant light came on in car... checked tank, was below minimum... topped it up. Checked the next day, it had gone down a little again.

F.Y.I: I know nothing about car mechanics. Trying to learn though:thumbsup

Took the car to local garage. Mechanic took undercover tray out and said that the 'housing' was knackered and needed replacing. I believe this housing is close the thermostat. Ordered the part from BM. Delivered the wrong part (obviously)... eventually right part turned up. Mechanic fitted it but said that something was cracked and if he gave me the car back the crack would get worse. I believe all this was right beside the pump.

Mechanic said that when he spoke to BM they said with this type of crack commonly appears when doing the type of repair he did.

Mechanic says that the 'pump cover' needs replacing now and that he is going to source the parts.

Can someone tell me what the hell is going on with my car because I don't understand. Sorry if my details are unclear... trying to remember the terminology the mechanic used with me :). Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same thing happened to my bm. leaks can be difficult to find but sometimes easy to spot i believe the mech iis taking the the piss!!!! best to check for leaks yourself look for white residue along the pipes or with your car running carefully inspect everywhere!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If anything is leaking at the water pump end, then it will be the profile gasket that is damaged. Wipe a clean dry rag around the water pump to check.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys. I really don't know what I am looking at or for to be honest. Could do with someone showing me! I think it is the case surrounding the pump that is cracked? Mechanic ordered the part from BM today (£110!). Said something about it being difficult to get to in order to replace it... would that make sense?

Also... I have the car back while he waits for the part to arrive. The coolant is at minimum - can I just top it up with the premixed antifreeze?

One more thing... the cover that sits at the bottom of the car (don't know what it is called) the screews were fooked so they have had to be replaced. The cover is not on the car just now... will the car be ok to drive without it for a few days?

This is driving me nuts!!:mad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts