BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone yet took out there dash out and made a new one? I'm now on my next prodject wich is fiberglass dashboard. I'm in need to do this as bmw did not want my car to have larger front speakers.
i'll be fiber glassing inner doors too.
i'm thinking of making my own shape and size by reducing the width by about 1"-2" so the dash does not touch door or now the speaker.
at the moment the speakers are fine but getting worried that they wil get damaged after time.(and i don't want to move them as i love where they are lol)
if you have a 318i or a simular setting with dash to door you'll know wat i meen(i have seen a lot of other bmw's with same setting)
so any info and help would be great

·
Registered
210 Posts
if I've understood this right, you want the gap between the inner door and the edge of the dash to be bigger.

...so you're complaining that the build quality and tollerances are *too* good..?

Seems like a moot point, though? If you're planning to put in your own dash and door panels, what difference does it make what they look like now? Or do you mean you'll be fibreglassing over the existing plastic? (in whcih case for gods sake make sure your wiring is all 100% first because you'll never get back there to check it afterwards)

If you're good with fibreglass (as in - alpine demo cars good) then great, go for it. If you're not...I've got horrible horrible visions.

Keep us updated on your progress!

Reactions: RYM

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
My original dash has been smoothed and painted and I'll never have issues to getting behind is as everything is as it was:thumbsup

Fabricating a complete new dash and door cards will be a massive job but if you have the ability then the end product will be amazing:cool

I pity you/passengers though if the vehicle is in an accident...:eek They'll smash it to bits:hihi

·
Registered
788 Posts
iv never done this but have watched my installer build dashboards , there is a lot of work involved in doing this modification but the end result is fantastic.
but be sure to incorporate the strengthening bars that protect you in case of an accident they are there for a reason not just for show but good luck with it keep us informed with progress pictures.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi guys cheers what i might do is take it to a person who can make my dashboard for me and install it. on the drivers side underneath i'm going to try to have a 2 parts of dash like i have the moment but use a clip on method.
i'm not saying the build quality is too good it's just not built for bigger front speakers lol.
this will be a 100% compleate new dash no fiberglassing over dash then i'll be spraying it a nice green same with doors. also anyone know a website where i can get green carpeting for my boot? cheers.
Dean

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Sounds like an awesome project and I for one will certainly be keeping my eyes peeled for lots of photos:cool

I'd hate to think how much it's gonna cost for someone else to do it. The time that goes into it is unbelievable, I wouldn't be surprised if the dash alone works it's way up to 3-4 grand.

Please keep us posted:thumbsup

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like an awesome project and I for one will certainly be keeping my eyes peeled for lots of photos:cool

I'd hate to think how much it's gonna cost for someone else to do it. The time that goes into it is unbelievable, I wouldn't be surprised if the dash alone works it's way up to 3-4 grand.

Please keep us posted:thumbsup
well i'm hoping my best mate's girlfriends dad can do it for cheap but i gotta ask him when i see wich is never of late.
but heres the problem in the pic look to where i sanded down too much to fit the speakers in wich slightly touch the dash i'll get pics of inside the car tomorro its too dark now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just relised thats your door.. wow! i want give me now! damn nice man!
OMG WHAT A BOOT! your car is amazing!
i feel like a kid in a sweety shop!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
just relised thats your door.. wow! i want give me now! damn nice man!
OMG WHAT A BOOT! your car is amazing!
i feel like a kid in a sweety shop!
I've not posted any pictures in this thread because I thought that you may have already seen it.;)

Oh and there's the fact that some members think I'm a photo whore:hihi

PS Thanks for the kind words:embarrassed:thumbsup

Have you seen all of my pictures?:rofl

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/album.php?u=1132

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've not posted any pictures in this thread because I thought that you may have already seen it.;)

Oh and there's the fact that some members think I'm a photo whore:hihi

PS Thanks for the kind words:embarrassed:thumbsup

Have you seen all of my pictures?:rofl

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/album.php?u=1132
lol i would be parading them pictures to every website with cars on if i had your car so i must be too. i saw all the bmw M3 white pics absolutly beautifull.
lovin the Engine replacement is it fully installed and car going or still left with parts to do? if it is compleated I bet it sounds a beast and goes like the clappers!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
btw what make are those speakers i don't reconise them from the pics.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
lol i would be parading them pictures to every website with cars on if i had your car so i must be too. i saw all the bmw M3 white pics absolutly beautifull.
lovin the Engine replacement is it fully installed and car going or still left with parts to do? if it is compleated I bet it sounds a beast and goes like the clappers!
The conversion is completed and I ran it on the road for a couple of months before taking back off the road due to electrical fault finding. The auto drop for the coupe windows and the interior lights are not functioning correctly.

It does go like stink, gave an E46 M3 csl a good run for his money on the motorway and that's no BS. He must've seriously been wondering WTF had been done to mine:hihi

I don't have the Air pump fitted which apparently strangles power slightly and I'm still yet to fit my Milltek decat section and Dave F induction kit:hihi

btw what make are those speakers i don't reconise them from the pics.
They are the QX Series which used to be Maystar IIRC. They're not the best on the market but it sounds awesome and they look the part:hihi

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
It is an inspirational car really eh . I was the same 1st time i saw it . Now its just A20`s car . :lol
I will be taking a few ideas on board from it tho . I like white cars too so floats my boat plenty .

·
Registered
401 Posts
have a go at this yourself it isnt actually that hard, try and build a boot install first to give you an idea of what your up against with the doors and dash.
with fibre glass there is usually a lot of filler involed aswell so even if it looks a complete pile of @$"^ it can be made to look perfect, my tourer is gettin the treatment later in life so if you havnt done it by then ill do a couple of quick howto's to get you going.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i spent all night cleaning out the garage just need to get a feather duster lol.
i set a work unit up yesterday as i am going to do it. i want to do 100% mod my self apart from the bodykit as i like/love the shark kit for the e36.
I'll be buying the frame parts and bolts today then i'll need to buy through out the week the rest of the stuff i found a fiberglass kit on fleabay as you lot call it lol.comes with: 2.5 Kg of Polyester Resin. 100cc Medium reactivity catalyst. 1 Kg Gelcoat Clear ( request Black,White, Grey, request wax if needed for Flowcoat) 2mt x 920mm of 450g Chopped strand matting. 1 mt surface tissue. 2 x 550 cc Calibrated Mixing cups complete with 2 mixing sticks. 3 pairs of latex gloves. 1 x 1" brush. 1 x 2" brush. 1 x 3" brush. 1 syringe for easy catalyst measuring.
for £38 there are other kits this one is no.4 this guy sell about 6 different kits for diff prices.
i'll probs get a mask from a diy shop today as well. (fiberglass = very dangerous)
so this saturday i should have the bone structure stable and strong weith no movments.
this will be fun (also i'll be taking pics and uploading them each day so it will be like a diary)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Best of luck with it matey! I'm terrrriiibbleee with fibreglass, I tried making a fibreglass sunroof replacement panel for my civic and gave up lol.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Best of luck with it matey! I'm terrrriiibbleee with fibreglass, I tried making a fibreglass sunroof replacement panel for my civic and gave up lol.
body work is somthing i love doing, this august i'm going to go back to college to relearn refinishing. as i would like a job out of it. this time..

·
Registered
788 Posts
hi guys cheers what i might do is take it to a person who can make my dashboard for me and install it. on the drivers side underneath i'm going to try to have a 2 parts of dash like i have the moment but use a clip on method.
i'm not saying the build quality is too good it's just not built for bigger front speakers lol.
this will be a 100% compleate new dash no fiberglassing over dash then i'll be spraying it a nice green same with doors. also anyone know a website where i can get green carpeting for my boot? cheers.
Dean
speak to paul or raff at this place if they cant get it or make it then its not worth doing or having also have a look at their gallery while on the site there are pics of some of there fiberglass dash,s see if you like them,
http://www.motorguarduk.co.uk/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts