BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Firstly like to say, as a newbie, from Denmark, thanks for being allowed in.

I have just purchased a 316ti which I am very happy with. The only problem is an occasional bout of erratic idle where it can stall.

I have found that if I disconnect the eccentric shaft sensor the problem goes away. There also seems to be more power.

Is there any danger in leaving this disconnected?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Well your answer is your question
You are saying engine is running well and in balance when eccentric sensor is disconnected.
So I assume, this minimize wear when your engine is not misfiring, rough idle etc.

Consider to replace this sensor? But it is better to read out first before just replacing.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well your answer is your question
You are saying engine is running well and in balance when eccentric sensor is disconnected.
So I assume, this minimize wear when your engine is not misfiring, rough idle etc.

Consider to replace this sensor? But it is better to read out first before just replacing.....
My worry is that when disconnecting the sensor I am disabling the Valvetronic function. i.e. the operation of the eccentric shaft is stopped, and there is no adaptive adjustment of timing. I just need to know if disconnecting it will damage the engine in the long run.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Yes it is better to cure asap this problem, to prevent any other parts to wear.

I think your car is now running fail safe mode and as you know fail safe mode is not for long term running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The codes I got were:
P0015: Over-retarded timing camshaft bank 1
P0011: Over-advanced timing intake camshaft bank 1
P0491: Secondary air injection system (bank 1)
P0492: Secondary air injection system (bank 2)

I cleared the codes.

During the last week the car has been running fine, with very little variation in idle speed after startup. After I have been driving for a while (>3-5 min) there is no variation and the motor runs fine.

However, it has started now jumping up in revs when I start. Again, it disappears after a few minutes.

I am now reading:
P0015: Camshaft Position “B” - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)
P0017: Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)

I think that is the description. These appear to be generic codes.

Thanks for your response and sorry for my slow reply!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have done a bit more experimenting since..
1. I cleaned the 2 vanos solenoids.
2. I measured the resistance between the terminals on the solenoids. I learned from a youtube video that the resistance should lie between 10.5 and 11.7 ohms. Whether this is true or not, I have no clue. The upper measured 18 ohms and the lower was 11.3.
3. I disconnected the upper solenoid while the engine was running and the erratic idle behaviour disappeared

I have also thought about changing the sensor but given the complexity of replacing the sensor and the relatively low price of the solenoid, my decision is to replace the upper solenoid. I have ordered a new one and keep my fingers crossed that it will solve the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have done a bit more experimenting since..
1. I cleaned the 2 vanos solenoids.
2. I measured the resistance between the terminals on the solenoids. I learned from a youtube video that the resistance should lie between 10.5 and 11.7 ohms. Whether this is true or not, I have no clue. The upper measured 18 ohms and the lower was 11.3.
3. I disconnected the upper solenoid while the engine was running and the erratic idle behaviour disappeared

I have also thought about changing the sensor but given the complexity of replacing the sensor and the relatively low price of the solenoid, my decision is to replace the upper solenoid. I have ordered a new one and keep my fingers crossed that it will solve the problem.
Just to give an update.
Replacing the solenoid did not help.
The erratic behaviour has become so bad that I suspect that I will do damage to the engine if it continues this way.
As a temporary step I have disconnected the eccentric shaft sensor. The result is that the engine starts every time and runs smoothly. It almost feels that there is more horespower as well.

It cant be right that the engine runs fine without the Valvetronic system working..and how much damage am I doing?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
When such sensor failed, ecu will use fixed data to to run engibe instead of live data. I really think yo u should replace thar sensor...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just to give an update.
Replacing the solenoid did not help.
The erratic behaviour has become so bad that I suspect that I will do damage to the engine if it continues this way.
As a temporary step I have disconnected the eccentric shaft sensor. The result is that the engine starts every time and runs smoothly. It almost feels that there is more horespower as well.

It cant be right that the engine runs fine without the Valvetronic system working..and how much damage am I doing?
Mostly likely you're fuel economy will drop - that car will feel like it's lacking power and overall not good for engine and catalytic. As much pain as it is you really should invest and change that sensor. I have had to do some jobs on mine which took me over 3 hours - you do it once and it will last a long time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mostly likely you're fuel economy will drop - that car will feel like it's lacking power and overall not good for engine and catalytic. As much pain as it is you really should invest and change that sensor. I have had to do some jobs on mine which took me over 3 hours - you do it once and it will last a long time.
Thanks for your input!
I agree that it should be fixed. My only concern is that replacing the 250 pound sensor will not fix the problem.
Can one of the other parts (Vanos, Valvetronic motor, excenteraksel..) be causing the problem?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Yes I know your concern, but very big chance this issue. Even if isn't the issue, later or sooner this sensor needs to replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your input!
I agree that it should be fixed. My only concern is that replacing the 250 pound sensor will not fix the problem.
Can one of the other parts (Vanos, Valvetronic motor, excenteraksel..) be causing the problem?
Yes I know your concern, but very big chance this issue. Even if isn't the issue, later or sooner this sensor needs to replaced.
Boy you guys are quick! Thanks again.

Just a few more notes. There appears to be 2 other parts involved as well.
  1. Valvetronic Control Unit (860 Euro)
  2. Valvetronic relay
Could it be a relay? that would be a very cheap fix.
If it is the Valve control unit then it is not really worth my while. I only paid 1200 Euro for the car.

Also, it should be noted that original BMW parts can be cheaper than OEM parts. For example for this sensor the original is 285 Euro whereas a non original part can be up to 380 Euro. (I replaced a speaker grill recently. It was going for 70 Euro on eBay. I ordered it from BMW for 35 Euro!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Final update.
I have replaced the eccentric shaft sensor. I has helped the problem but not solved it completely.
Cold start: Uneven idle for first 10-20 sec. Does not stall
Warm start: Very uneven idle first minute. Can stall.

It should be said that I used a non-original part.

I dont think I will pursue the issue any longer. Will learn to live with it :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts