BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

316i compact rally preperation

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  tomcolinjones 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Im new to this forum, and new to Bmw ownership.
I'm starting to build myself a 316i 1.6 1998 e36 compact for road rally and the odd stage for fun.
i think a 6cyl 2.0l (m52?) engine is in order but i am unsure of the work involved with the swap, along with lsd and short final drive, 4.44 or something.
i will be fitting an OMP cage soon. also, how would i go about fitting rear discs and vented front discs? which diff is best? what gearbox should i use? am i better off getting a 520i/320i as a donor car?
thankyou
Tom

#11 ·
thanks for the links!
I think im going to have to go for a 4cyl engine, so i can do road rallys too.
my friend is in the rwd challenge, and has a e30 325, he has sorted me out some eibach rear springs, and some dampers for now. there is a e36 328i at his place to breaking, can i fit the front struts off this for now, are these uprated over the 316i?? so i can go out and have a play?
i will be fiting the brakes from this car on the front only obviously, and i shall be sourcing e30 rear arms for discs.
how much work is involved in a m40 to m44 conversion? i will be taking the clutch mc and pipework and pedal e.t.c from the 328i, along with the brake mc if it is an upgrade.
please advise.
thanks for the advice for the 318ti.org but most of the useful info i find is on here, a compact is a bmw too! its just a e30/e36 cut and shut :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.