BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry to anyone who may have had this question before but I'm new to this!
I currently own a 1999 316i compact a nice little car but for the engine size nearly 1.9 its a bit lacking... I have been told that the engine has a lot more to give but the ecu as standard wont let it all out, firstly is this true??
would it be worthwhile getting a remap? it would be just nice to have a little more power.
this leads me on to ask if I take the ecu from a 1998 318ti and pop it into my car will it give that little bit more?
I have a crash damaged 318ti car I can rape and pillage, I presume a ecu and transponder chip change will be all I need to do?
any help or tips would be appreciated
many thanks:thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You wouldn't just be able to swap the ECU, would need to swap EWS module, key, barrel e.t.c.

A remap would unleash a few more horsies but not alot to be honest on that engine size, will be best to save your money for something quicker, even our Remap guy will most likely tell you that.
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f113/

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
The key and barrel won't need to be replaced as you can swap the chips over.

I had to swap the key and barrel on my conversion due to my 1992 318is not having EWS and the ignition barrel had undergone a design change. I even had to replace the steering column:frown

1 - 3 of 3 Posts