BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a feeling I might know the problem here, but would just like some advice!

I have a loud ticking/ tapping noise coming from the car when I accelerate. The noise seems to be at the dashboard, but when I open the window, the noise can be clearly heard coming from the engine as well...sounds like a tank!

There's a quieter ticking noise during deceleration as well.

It's gotten worse in recent days.

Am I looking at a tappet problem? Or can anyone diagnose anything else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
401 Posts
i should think its the tappets, i had it quite bad on a e30 where it actually sounded like the engine ran on nuts and bolts, i think the 316 has got normal tappets in wich case i think a good oil change is due, that should quiet it down a touch but id get it into the garage anyways to get the gap put back to normal, it can be done yourself but it requires a good bit of mechanical know how

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
My first point of call would be to check your oil - had the same issue on a previous car and it was down to the oil level being very low! After filling up with new oil and going for a 5 minute drive it was all back to normal again.

·
Banned
110 Posts
MMmmm yes mayb tappets - but may just require oil change - while doing it use a good engine flush , this may free sticky tappets ..

but if u wanna make sure - just remove the rocker cover and have a butchers

·
Banned
110 Posts
with car issues - always go for the cheapest way first so
first check you oil and do a engine flush properly (if tappets are sticking),,, check engine flush container for instructions...ohh I would probably check your spark plugs as they can cause ticking if faulty or even loose...also check exhaust system from manifold if u have leak this can also cause ticking sound

if that does not fix it -then pray lol I mean next step is to have butchers ...
I mean check ur tappets if one or more tappets are broken then u will see it broken but if its just loose and needs tighting you will have to check every tappet for excessive play and then tightned them to the correct torque setting.

also rocker cover nuts should also being tightned using correct torque setting - otherwise you may damage your alluminium head,,

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
if that does not fix it -then pray lol I mean next step is to have butchers ...
I mean check ur tappets if one or more tappets are broken then u will see it broken but if its just loose and needs tighting you will have to check every tappet for excessive play and then tightned them to the correct torque setting.

also rocker cover nuts should also being tightned using correct torque setting - otherwise you may damage your alluminium head,,
The tappets on the 318is are hydraulic and cannot be manually adjusted, they are oil pressure fed. The reason these make a tapping noise is usually because they get gunked up with old oil residue and muck. This causes them to get starved of oil so cannot open/shut properly. The noise usually gets quieter when the oil is hot because the oil thins out flows more freely. If you had a broken tappet is would show up when you are driving because the valve would not be able to open or close properly and would cause driveabilty problems. :thumbsup
Like someone said, first thing is to check the oil level because if the oil level is very low you would not get good oil pressure and the tappets would not be pressurised correctly.
Old oil can cause problems too because it thickens up with age and carries more engine residue.
Also check the exhaust manifold because these are common for blowing manifold gaskets, check for black deposits around the flange where it bolts to the cylinder head and have a listen when the engine is running. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The tappets on the 318is are hydraulic and cannot be manually adjusted, they are oil pressure fed. The reason these make a tapping noise is usually because they get gunked up with old oil residue and muck. This causes them to get starved of oil so cannot open/shut properly. The noise usually gets quieter when the oil is hot because the oil thins out flows more freely. If you had a broken tappet is would show up when you are driving because the valve would not be able to open or close properly and would cause driveabilty problems. :thumbsup
Like someone said, first thing is to check the oil level because if the oil level is very low you would not get good oil pressure and the tappets would not be pressurised correctly.
Old oil can cause problems too because it thickens up with age and carries more engine residue.
Also check the exhaust manifold because these are common for blowing manifold gaskets, check for black deposits around the flange where it bolts to the cylinder head and have a listen when the engine is running. :thumbsup

...errr, yeah.........wot he said:thumbsup

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys!

I'm going to spend a constructive afternoon tomorrow changing the oil, the filter and the spark plugs for good measure.

One further question: Is an engine flush a good idea? I've had conflicting reports on whether they're a good idea or not, especially on older cars like mine.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I personally wouldnt bother. Ive used them before and they seemed to make the tappets noisier! Just get the oil hot before you drain it :thumbsup
Dunno what the other guys opinions on engine flushes will be.
See what they say :thumbsup

·
Registered
401 Posts
dont bother is my opinion, aslong as you get the oil warm before you change it then most of the crap that is caught in the sump will be freed up and will come out, an engine flush might be worth while if your racing or are doing a complete overhaul or your just fussy but i dont think its worthwhile, good quality oil and filter and your good to go

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK...

So successfully changed oil, filter and spark plugs but ticking/ tapping noise remains :(

I did notice that two of the sparl plug sockets had oil in the them when I changed them. I cleaned it out but could this be linked to the problem?

Other than that, having done the oil change with no result, can anyone give me an idea of the where the problem can be coming from? Is the fact that I get the ticking from what sounds like under the dashboard as well as from the engine a part of it?

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I still think it might be your exhaust manifold mate. When the engine is running have a listen under the bonnet at the drivers side of the engine. Does the tapping increase with engine speed ?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
What grade of oil did you use?

As Steve say's, it may be a blow in the exhaust manifold.

Or your tappets are buggered.

other things aswell- had a car come in last month, customer said that his tappets needed doing as it was too tappety..............when checked, his bottom end shells were buggered.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.