BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I recently bought e36 323i.
I noticed early that 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear grinds when I try to shift in fast at high RPM or even worse if I downshift at high RPM. Nothing like this happens if I wait a second or 2 before shifting into these gears. Kinda seems like the clutch doesnt fully work.
My clutch pedal had a little plastic ring at the floor that protected clutch pedal metal part from hitting the fabric oftenly to protecr wear, that was resulting in about 1CM of clutch travel loss(which of course was normal and calculated in). As I removed it, grinding problem improved a bit but not totally ,which makes me thing that the clutch might be reaching it's end of life, or can it be something else? Shouldn't then I expiriance other clutch related issues and grinding in all gears?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be worn synchros in the gearbox, if it is, may require a gearbox rebuild or source a 2nd hand box
Ok thanks man, after consulting a few friends it seems like synchros r the fault.
What gearboxes will fit me? After research I done it seems like e36 323i and 328i + e39 523 and 528. is that right? Are all X28 gearboxes so called "ZF"? What are the benefits of ZF tranny?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts