BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting some new tyres in the summer and have tried out the current ones that came on the alloys i bought.
current steel rims - 185/65-15
current tyres on alloys 235/45-17
they tyres are a fraction too large and rub a bit on lock, they only just touch the inner plastic arch bit.

would it be better to go for
235/40-17 or
225/45-17?
to prevent rubbing

thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
If they rub on lock then i assume they are to wide??? - i take it that you are familiar with the way in which tyres are measured - 235 is the width of tyre in mm - 40 is the height of the side wall - aspect ratio of the tyre in mm and 17 is the size of the wheel in inches. If you go for the 225/45 - 17 then you lose 10mm in width which mayy give you the clearance needed but you gain 5 mm in height.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mtec b,
i tried comparing the tyre sizes on a tyre size calculator and 235/45 is about 2.5% larger, 70 on speed would be 72mph, and the 235/40 would be 0.1% smaller 70mph on speedo would really be 69.8mph.
i think ill go for the 40 profile tyre as it is closer to the factory tyres and should give a little extra clearance.

thanks for the replies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.