BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really unsure where to post this but considering buying a 120i Sport 5 door Pre Reg 2017 plate and wondered if there were any known issues with them. I believe they had a revamp for the 67 plate with digital instruments but not sure if anything else has changed. I presently have an e46 320d on a 54 plate with 170k on it but feel it may be on its way out but will know for certain on Thursday when they replace the MAF sensor as I presently have black smoke and very little power with a lot of diesel being used.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If it’s the 2.0 litre B48 engine then I imagine it’s too new for any problems yet although it has been used in the mini for a coupe of years. From what I’ve read it is a very good engine. Same potential issues as other BMW engines with direct injection and the timing chain being at the back. Let us know how you get on, I’d probably consider a 1 series next time round.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If it’s the 2.0 litre B48 engine then I imagine it’s too new for any problems yet although it has been used in the mini for a coupe of years. From what I’ve read it is a very good engine. Same potential issues as other BMW engines with direct injection and the timing chain being at the back. Let us know how you get on, I’d probably consider a 1 series next time round.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still considering as they found my problem wasn't actually the MAF but it was an issue with the top hose from the intercooler where it is attached to the engine. Just a couple of inches from where it is attached there was an inch and a half crack in the hose so there was no pressure. The garage fixed it by inserting a piece of exhaust pipe which fitted the inside of the hose exactly and sealing it with a big jubilee clip. The engine is now going perfectly again wit no warnings. May hold off until winter is past to change cars. I believe from a link I found on here that I could keep my best set of alloys (16") for my 3 series and I will be able to put winter tyres on them in place of the 17" ones on the 1 Series if I buy it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts