BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that i needed a new old car, but just picked up a 2016 435d xDrive. Well, i get it in a few days.

Only 29k miles. But what are the common failures? I'm all for preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
oil changes are a must,do not go over 10 k miles/1 year...crank shell bearings/bottom end/oil pump,these have cropped up on 640d forum on facebook,8 failures on there all the same,dont worry though,most joined after the failure,any car can have probs,these n57 engines are great,quick remap from bwchiptune and you be smiling more,,wait a while till you get used to your car though,also gearbox service at around 60 k miles would be good,had mine done asap when i bought it 18 months ago at 78 k miles,and make sure you do some long trips,as the dpf will block

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I didn't buy it. I had doubts over the non BMW service. When I asked what oil had been used, I was told "Castrol".
I was expecting to hear BMW long life or similar. Now I know Castrol was probably the right oil. And it later went
through the MOT without any advisories as I was insisting. But too late, its gone.

But there are plenty more. Currently comparing a 2017 430D (35k miles) and a 2015 430D (29k mile).
The older car is 5k cheaper and lower millage. Is there any reason not to go for the older car?
Performance seems the same. I think the older is classed as 5b and the newer 6b when it comes to emissions.
The older doesn't have the stupid extra tax (2 * 490) like the newer.

·
Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
62 Posts
The 2017 should be an LCI version, as in facelift. Not massively different, but slightly better tech and a few tweaks to the steering etc. Personally I’d go for the newer model, especially being a derv.
The F32 4 series are great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn't the 2017 the facelifted version?
I can see small difference in rear lights.
Front and side look identical.
2017 may have LED lights while Xenon for the 2015. But look the same.
Interiors looks the same.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
have you not thought about a 640d ?,,wipes the floor with 3/4 series in terms of build quality and standard spec,,,same engine,,my car was like £81k in 2012 sep time,,i paid £13k nearly 2 years ago 78k miles,with £14k of options,style wise there aint no comparison with a 4 series,looks like the 6 had an ugly child ha ha,also the 6 series are cheaper,,weird but true

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny you should say that. A couple of months ago I did notice a white 640D for reasonable money. At the time I was looking to sell my 2012 350 S-Class and replace that and the old Saab I run around in with a single do it all car, like a Audio A4 Estate. So I shied away from the 640. But now the Merc has gone and I've sorted some minor issues with the Saab, a 640D might be the perfect weekend car.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
exactly why i bought my 640d,,sold focus st stage 2 to buy e90 330d as my weekend car..owned e46 330d as my daily,,sold //bought e92 335d as weekend car and sold my daily e46 330d,,e90 330d became my daily,,,then sold e92 335d and bought 640d as weekend car,still have e90 330d as my daily,honestly the 6 is great,,,,boost sensor only thing ive had go wrong in 20 months,,couple of pics

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked and the white 6 series I was looking at last month is still available, but its a 635D
There is however a nice 640D 5 miles away. I'll take a look tonight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I've now test driven, very short, little fuel, two 640Ds.
Very nice inside and a beast of an engine. However, at 5 meters its almost as big as the S Class i just let go. And with their beige interiors, very hard to keep clean. Very much a weekend car.

I've returned to the white 430D which if the dealer woukd drop a little I'd buy. No luck so far, but i suspect prices are on the turn.
while in waiting, I've found another 435D. Its got adaptive suspension and HUD. Is adaptive suspension worth having? A lot of the you tube reviews say it is. The 430D has m sports firmer suspension and bridgestone runflats. The ride is a little harsh. Will i regret not getting adaptive suspension. By the way, one of the 640Ds had HUD. Its a lot better in reality than the pictures.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
my car as shown is vermillion red,,i would try and stay away from beige/white myself,,but if the car was good then it wouldnt totally put me off,and yeh the 6 is quite a big car on the outside,,16ft or summit and quite wide

·
Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
62 Posts
I’ve got a 2017 F32 (440i) with standard MSport suspension, I’m very happy with it, even on RFTs on 19” wheels. Many folk do prefer the adaptive, sure it is great but I couldn’t find the right car with it on.
All depends what you are used to and what you want to do with the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts