BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

On Friday a message came up on the system saying that my car has a 'free technical enhancement' and to contact BMW to book it in. I've done that and the car has to go in for 8 hours to BMW on the 16th December.

I've checked the BMW website owners section and after entering my VIN, it has came up stating an enhancement code 32740200.

Would anyone know what this is regarding? It seems as if it is some type of re-call but BMW are dressing it up as a 'technical upgrade'. 8 hours(minimum) seems like a long time!

Cheers,
Ryan,
car1.jpg
Belfast

·
Registered
492 Posts
It won't be a recall as you would've received a letter stating so. To me it sounds like a software upgrade and they've probably stated 8 hours because they are heavily booked. A busy BMW garage will do up to 80 cars per day.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same message (and reference number) on my 2014 320d. It was due for an oil change anyway so I've booked it in for Friday. I also figured that "technical enhancement" meant some sort of software update and was surprised when the dealer said they'd need to keep it for the day rather than being able to sort it while I waited.

However, I noticed a warning triangle in the BMW Connected app yesterday. Clicking it gave me a page with a bit more information:

Recalls and Campaigns
Technical Enhancement - Steering

As part of ongoing quality analysis at BMW, it has been established that the connecting screws between the steering gear and power-pack that is fitted to your vehicle may fail. This could result in noises whilst steering and possibly a deviation to power steering assistance. Should this error occur a corresponding Check Control message would also be displayed within the instrument cluster.
To make sure that your vehicle is in perfect working order we would like to rework the steering gear fitted to your vehicle.
Not surprised it'll take a while. That sounds an awful lot more like a safety recall than a technical enhancement!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mahinda, thanks for that information! Mines is a 2014 318D and it appears that what you've stated is what the car is going in for! BMW must have actioned this before any recall information from the DVLA was sent out in the post. Very interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts