BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new Bimmer owner here.

I'm curious what the consensus is on security needed for used BMW cars?

I just got my (new to me) f11 2014 530d m sport 5 series touring, stock loaded with extras, low milage, BMW certified, £20k.
Given this is my first BMW and a friend of mine had his f11 relay stolen a few years back, I'm a bit paranoid and looking at security options.

These are the current security measures:
  • Car comes fitted with Thatcham Cat1 alarm and immobiliser.
  • Disklok steering wheel lock.
  • Faraday pouches for the fobs.

I don't even know if this car is of much interest to thiefs nowadays, but should I look into additional security? Trackers, Ghost etc.
Or would anything else than what I have be overkill?

I live in a fairly quiet and nice area, but the car will be kept on the street. I also plan to travel in Europe quite a lot.

Thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
dont botha,,or ghost immobiliser. and disc lock..they normally just go for steering wheels etc now

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Security is a personal thing, whatever makes you feel more relaxed, and might totally depend on the area you leave it in.
I tend to go for a Tracker, but pay once sort of thing, and Supaglass - a window security film that makes smashing a window difficult.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Security is a personal thing, whatever makes you feel more relaxed, and might totally depend on the area you leave it in.
I tend to go for a Tracker, but pay once sort of thing, and Supaglass - a window security film that makes smashing a window difficult.
Thanks, I agree its highly personal. I always had a type of steering wheel guard on my cars so I feel weird without one. I'm also asking as I don't really have a sense of how likely a car like mine is to be targeted. I do have the nice m sport steering wheel and I've seen multiple people mention how some thiefs will smash a window just for that. The Supaglass looks like a great solution too. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I had a rear side window on a 330d Tourer, parked in a golf club carpark near Slough, attempted to be smashed, I think it surprised them when didn't shatter, by then the alarm was triggered and too much attention attracted, since then have always used SupaGlass, it helps that it's only a fair walk across town, fitting means generally needs to be left overnight, everything but the windscreen...
It also enable a darker tint on non driver related windows... If not already 'done'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts