BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ongoing problem with my driver’s door lock actuator. When the car has been sitting in direct sun for a couple of hours and the inside of the door presumably gets very hot, the actuator malfunctions. After unlocking with my fob it sometimes takes several tugs on the external handle to open the door. After getting in and locking the door either manually or by driving a short distance and auto locking, I cannot open the door from the inside. Sometimes I can put the window down and open the door using the external handle but if that doesn’t work I have to climb out of the passenger side. When the temperature drops everything returns to normal and works ok. Only the driver’s door is affected. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a first.
Will watch this with interest.
Yes, it is an interesting one. This is a new actuator fitted in February by Dick Lovett in Bristol when the original one failed and the job is covered by their warranty for 12 months. The problem didn’t occur until we had the first spell of hot weather a few weeks ago and I couldn’t get out of the car. It’s my guess that there’s a component within the actuator that’s expanding in the heat just enough to cause the malfunction. It went back to them this week but being a dull day, they couldn’t replicate the fault so they stripped the door down and lubricated everything. I have doubts that this has cured the problem but I won’t know until the sun comes out again. Watch this space.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it is an interesting one. This is a new actuator fitted in February by Dick Lovett in Bristol when the original one failed and the job is covered by their warranty for 12 months. The problem didn’t occur until we had the first spell of hot weather a few weeks ago and I couldn’t get out of the car. It’s my guess that there’s a component within the actuator that’s expanding in the heat just enough to cause the malfunction. It went back to them this week but being a dull day, they couldn’t replicate the fault so they stripped the door down and lubricated everything. I have doubts that this has cured the problem but I won’t know until the sun comes out again. Watch this space.
Sun has come out again and as I suspected, I still have the same problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next step is to replace the outer Bowden cable. Dick Lovetts are convinced this is the cause. Should know soon. Watch this space.
Turns out a badly corroded outer Bowden cable was the culprit and has been replaced. We all know the inside of the door will often be wet due to water ingress so why do BMW use components that rot like this? I’m now concerned as to what’s going on within the other doors!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts