BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals

I have a Intermittent starting issue on my 2013 320D M sport

At first I thought it was a battery issue so had it changed it for the push start battery and got it successfully registered etc but issue remains.

The issue appears predominantly once I have driven it for any length of time and say I stopped at the shop for 2 minutes it is a lottery on whether it starts.

When it fails to start it shows up the ignition fault as seen in the picture- It will crank and attempt to start but fail to- Next attempt it may start 100% with no problem and the car purrs back to life with no adverse affect.

I've had to jump start it a couple of times and once the jump leads are attached it will start instantly

Any experience or thoughts on what else to explore?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'd look for a poor or corroded connection somewhere in the starting cycle, starter, alternator, battery, earth straps etc.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I would say check alternator charging voltage first ( brushes wear).
When this happen your car will die during a trip.

Checking starter a little harder, you have to remove intake or on car lift......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of my mechanic friends has suggested to rule out the most basic iginition fault i.e a communication disconnect from the key so i'm using the spare one for now-Drove it yesterday and had no non-start issues-praying its this simple but will report back once I have more

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So the key change didn't make a difference so this is ruled out. I think the issue is once the car has ran for a period of time (Even 15 mins). The issue never occurs when I start it for the first time in the morning.

Seen some other websites suggesting the starter could be the issue- Priced it at £105 quid

Is the only option to methodically go through and change every component in the ignition/Starting process? Sounds expensive:mad:

So with this methodical process I hazard a guess at changing/checking the following:
  1. Checking poor or corroded connection somewhere in the starting cycle, starter, alternator, battery, earth straps etc.
  2. Crankshaft position sensor
  3. Camshaft position sensor
  4. Starter solenoid
  5. Checking Fuel lines/pressure/fuel pressure at the injector rail. You can have a bad filter for example I have read
  6. Starter

·
Registered
137 Posts
So the key change didn't make a difference so this is ruled out. I think the issue is once the car has ran for a period of time (Even 15 mins). The issue never occurs when I start it for the first time in the morning.

Seen some other websites suggesting the starter could be the issue- Priced it at £105 quid

Is the only option to methodically go through and change every component in the ignition/Starting process? Sounds expensive:mad:

So with this methodical process I hazard a guess at changing/checking the following:
  1. Starter
  2. Crankshaft position sensor
  3. Camshaft position sensor
  4. Starter solenoid
  5. Checking Fuel lines/pressure

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi Just4-apologies if you didnt write anything but no response came through on your post:unsure:🤪

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Checking starter connections involved removing intake manifold. So you could consider having spare parts to change while there....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes will get mechanic to check all these points.
Out of interest I spoke to BMW and for them to do a 'fault diagnosis' check its £100-Basically plugging computer into the car and then if this doesnt identify the issue there is a further charge for more diagnosis and then a quote for curing it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wonder if it‘s a ‘stop/start’ fault too? Worth checking earth straps and possibly an issue with the starter motor. I used to have a focus tdci years ago which would sometimes not start after a run. I had to rock it in 4th gear / reverse and then try to start it and suddenly it would catch. Turned out to be an issue with the starter motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts