BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I've come to the end of my PCP on a 2012 X5 with 88K on the clock and have decided to keep it :)

I'd welcome any views on mechanical warranties - are they worth it in general, and for an X5 of that vintage what are the most likely (expensive) things to go wrong? I don't really mind paying for smaller (few hundred pounds) things that might go wrong, but I really don't want a crippling bill for thousands if I can help it. I got burned by a cambelt on a just-serviced Audi A6 that went snap and wrote it off a few years back...

I've got a couple of quotes which say the kinds of things that ARE covered, but I'm not mechanically minded enough to know whether there are some biggies that are excluded...

Obviously I can't cover for every eventuality (and Sod's law it will be the most expensive thing not covered that goes wrong) but I'm weighing up whether it's worth shelling out to minimise the risk. Or, I just put £50 or so a month aside and cross my fingers!

Car overall is good working order, FBMWSH, 8K miles per year.

Many thanks in advance for any views, advice, comments.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Loads of replies on this! :rofl Im just about to buy a 2015 40d from BMW, with a years warranty, but will look at other warrantys after that. If I find anything , will let you know ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I wouldn't buy an aftermarket warranty personally, unless it was a manufacturer approved one. BMW offer extended warranties for a price. Has your X5 been covered by BMW previously?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, I've invested in a warranty from Warrantywise.

I looked at th BMW version and the warrantywise one covers more, and costs less, and is very flexible with what level of cover you can select.

I went for the 8/80 plan (car up to 8 years old and under 80K miles at start of warranty). It has various stuff included, but I got the full driveline cover wit a single repair limit of £5K. that costs me 47 quid a month and includes recovery from europe and 250 quid hotel/travel expenses.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’ve extended the BMW warranty on both my cars. The current which I’ve had since 2012 has cost me £3940 in warranty costs to date, that’s averaging £47 per month. At the start it was £43 and today having had warranty work to the tune of £8500 the monthly payment is £48.52.

There have been 5 major events/items that’s cost a whack in one go (which I’d have struggled to find without some serious beans on toast for the month):

1. Timing chain guides snapped - total repair cost ~£1800
2. Same again 2 years later - another ~£1800
3. Noisy differential ~ £1800
4. Oil pump due to balance shafts ~£1500
5. Centre exhaust section that houses the Catalytic converter: nothing wrong with original cat but needed new flexi joint (no repair kit and shit design) ~£1500
6. Smaller odds and sods

Anyone asks me if warranty is worth it? Well it’s saved me £4500 and at no time been stung in pocket for a large unexpected bill.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Personally, I've had very bad experiences with Warranty Direct on an Audi where they made truly heroic efforts to wriggle and escape at every possible opportunity the moment the claim got above £1000 (which is, of course, precisely when you need them most and why you're taking the policy out).

To jwilalex's post above - another vote for extending the BMW warranty. Do it sooner rather than later and pay it monthly - it will mean that more is covered and will stay covered as long as you keep paying the monthly amount. If you do it annually, the cover keeps changing as the mileage goes up at each annual underwriting point.

2010 6 series is about £75 a month for nose-to-tail cover. Touch wood, I am handsomely out of pocket on the warranty as it's been good as gold but it's nice to know that if the gearbox falls out of it or it ingests a swirl flap I don't need to panic about a £5-10k bill. And on a 2012 X5, you can probably substitute the £5-10k in that last sentence for something closer to £8-15k as the 8 speed gearboxes are a lot more expensive than the 6 speeds, and you've got a load of additional complexity from AWD as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts