BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2012 X1 20D S Drive

Tags
2012 20d drive x1
7K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  GrantLDN 
#1 · (Edited)
X1 E84 | X5 Wheels | BC Racing Coilovers

Back after being away for a little while.

I was in ownership of a Golf R32 for a while.

But Now I'm back in a 2012 BMW X1 20D S Drive M Sport.

Only have a few pictures when I went to view the car, they have since done wheel refurbs, and sorted a couple body work issues out that I wasn't happy with.
not took any pictures since I first went to view the car but heres where I'm at.

Some of the Americans make these look good! I won't be letting this become a money pit but I will be doing a few bits and pieces along the way..

Getting a pipercross panel filter at the end of the month and giving it a good clean up when I get some time got a bunch of stuff from cleanyourcar.co.uk

Will be looking at H&R springs soon, debadge the X1 section on the rear and the 20D S drive on the front doors. Then start looking at bulb upgrades and remaps.

I did have a big flash camera but I've pretty much sold all my equipment now so unless my photography mates take any phots this will be iPhone photos galore in here.

Will post any updates anyway and see you around :thumbsup

See less See more
#2 ·
Gave the car a quick clean this weekend didn't really take any photos though, my mate took one before and one of my wheel after some iron x...

Hosed down the car, APC over the whole car, Iron X the wheels and arches, Washed, Clay clothed, Rinsed and dried. Done an Auto Glym air con treatment and used Stripper Scent interior spray to freshen up the interior with an ILOVEBASS air freshener.

This was all done within a couple of hours, really need to have a day doing the whole car and taking the wheels of etc.

Will be buying new front wipers and a rear wiper and having my tracking completed this week, nothing exciting.

#3 ·
So as I said I'm trying to avoid this becoming a money pit and I found these wheels on Ebay only down the road in Essex and ended up winning them for not too much of a bad price..

My wheels currently
7.5J ET38 Running 225 50 17

So the new wheels..

X5 Wheels
9J ET 48 Fronts running 255 45 19
10J ET45 Rears running 285 45 19

The plan is to run a slight amount of stretch and reduce the tyre profile a touch. Looking at 245 40 19 for the rears not 100% on the fronts.

Done a quick test fit on the rears last night with the original X5 tyres on and the rears went straight on, didn't seem to rub on suspension and there was no poke which I am over the moon about as I was a bit optimistic. So with the smaller tyres on they should be fine.

They do need a refurb but I am selling my current wheels and running these as they are through the winter and will have them refurbished at a friends garage before shows next year.

Quite happy with the fact that theres not much info on these in the UK and it seems in the USA they have been struggling with 9.5J rears...

Will update soon.

#7 ·
So the X5 wheels are on.

So the rear tyres came with 285 50 19 and I am now running 255 35 19.

The fronts came with 255 45 19 and I am now running 225 40 19.

Running a set of Pirelli P Zero tyres all round.

Also had to stick on a set of 15mm hubcentric spacers all round, rears just to bring out a little and the fronts were due to shock clearance. With 15mm spacers / 9j wheel / et48 there is about 2-3 mm clearance. But clearance is clearance :party0030:

Will hopefully get some more photos soon and the wheels are crying out for a refurb which will come along soon.

#8 ·
So I have booked my first show for 2016 - Fast Show @ Santa Pod Raceway. Not my usual scene but going with a group of mates so why the hell not.

Loosing tyre pressure from O/S/F so need to have a look after work to see if I have a puncture etc and I am getting my tracking done on Saturday afternoon as I'm off for a bit of motorway driving next week.

#9 ·
So picked up some bits tonight..

- 8L of Castrol Magnatec oil
- Bosch Oil Filter
- Bosch Fuel Filter
- Bosch Pollen Filter

Will get these changed over tomorrow, also have my O/S/F tyre checked. Then getting some tracking done at Elite in Essex.

#12 ·
So today I have my tracking carried out, the toe was out on the front and rear so had this adjusted and drives alot better....

Before..

After..

Then had a bit of servicing done..

Pollen..

New..

Euro car parts gave me the wrong oil filter (seems as if the X1 20D's had an oil filter change at around the point my car was made so mine was the larger one from previous years)

So ended up with a Mann filter rather then a bosch but it was all I could get my hands on..

Dropped the old oil out..

My good mate Beau filling her back up with good old Castrol Magnatec..

And Beau's new car....

#13 ·
Timing Chain

So as some of you may have noticed I have the well known N47 engine in this car. These engines being well known for timing chain issues.

I was told by a few people that around 2012 point is when they changed some parts and this stopped being an issue, but when doing the service, realising I had an oil filter from a 2011 model, this puts my engine in the danger zone.

I have been hearing a metal grinding noise, sounds like a belt, from the rear of the engine sounds like its in the passenger foot well / glove box and when you open the bonnet, you can hear the noise but it's hard to locate as the rear of the engine is tucked away.

I have spoken to my warranty company who have agreed for me to have the work diagnosed at my own costs and if approved I can have the work completed at a labour rate of £45 p/h labour rate ( not many garage work this cheap ) and a max claim of £2000. I have a couple of places in mind who have done similar work.

I also need to speak to BMW directly, I entered my reg on their website and it shows no recalls, but seeing as it has an older engine in there that is clearly affected, I'm hoping it may be something they do under good will. I have spoke to a friend who works in BMW warranty, but unfortunately around 200 miles away from me so that dealership is out of the question.

Being as I have a 2012 model car with just short of 45K miles, a timing chain should not be going wrong after 3 years.

Will post updates regarding this as and when. At least it will be resolved whether it be through BMW or my warranty company.

#15 ·
BMW seem to think there is no noise there, yet an assessor can hear a noise and believes it is normal for the mileage of the vehicle (less than 50,000). I have in writing that Barclays believe the vehicle is satisfactory.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and if the noise gets worse, then pay to have the work carreid out before engine failure for peace of mind at a garage of my choice. Don't want BMW touching it or some useless mechanic from the dealership where I purchased the vehicle from.

Anyway,

Coilovers Ordered

Couple photos to keep thread going..

I have had some coding carried out - Digital Speedo / 5 Flash Indicators / US Spec Ambers / Seatbelt Warning Off etc etc. I want Audible locking enabled but this can't be accessed via the app.

The X5 wheels are off now being refurbished also, acid dipped and repainted in a dark grey.

#18 ·
Still a bit quiet just getting some bits together still..

Photo from the Baby BMW meet at the weekend..

Photo of the BC Racing Coilovers that arrived today.

Now to wait for an update on the wheels and then on to ordering tyres & spacers :D

#21 ·
Right so finally a time for a bit of an update I guess.. Although not complete after a couple set backs.

Gave the car a clean up at a friends house, nothing amazing, paint still needs correcting but gave the black paint a boost and now the car beads in the rain.

Ordered some tyres from Tyre Leader. Ordered Toyo Proxes T1 Sports, but only my 2 fronts have arrived so far. 245/35/19 for the front and I am due 2 275/35/19 for the rear.

Picked up my wheels from my friend Jake over at MJR Vehicle Repairs in Canvey Island, Essex who painted the wheels 2K Super Black.

Anyway I popped to my mate Beau's house for some coilover fitting none the less. Bunch of photos from the day which took longer as most of his tools were at his work.

Bumper Damage from an inconsiderate **** somewhere along the line.

So this is how the car sits currently..

I did buy 15mm spacers for the front at 12mm for the rear but the front is scrubbing on the shock slightly so jumping up a size and putting the 15mm spacers on the rear to equal it out.

Hopefully my 2 rear tyres turn up as soon as possible and I am currently driving with odd wheels

#23 ·
So I spent yesterday at a mates house, trimmed back some of the arch moulding and rear arch skim to stop the scrubbing, also removed the 15mm spacers for now.

Few pics.

Took the front plate off and attempted to start removing the doubled sided tape left over but it was stuck on tough. So acquired a toffee wheel at work and will remove it that way later on today. Everywith was sanded and smoothed off and the mouldings were put back on tiger seal where cut and cable ties for now for the holes where the plastic rivets were, ordering those from BMW.

With the rear spacers off the car actually feels better in corners on the A roads to.

Will be getting cleaned up Friday for Goodwood on Saturday for players classic event.

#24 ·
Went to Goodwood Motor Circuit yesterday.

Cleaned the car briefly Friday after work..

Couple from the show that I have came across..

This photo was taken before the wheels were wiped down. Oh and I forgot to apply tyre shine. Amateur mistake.

Have bought an oil filter from BMW and some Millers Oil from OpieOils so will get that changed this week. Will get a tyre changed over and hopefully get my new plastic pop rivets put in this week too.

This Saturday coming I am heading to Waterstock in Oxford for a show too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.