BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Recently purchased a 2011 E70 Msport 3.0 Xdrive with 80,000 mls.
Having previously owned an E53 and also an F10.
My E70 the radiator aux fan is constantly coming on whilst driving. After about 10 mins of driving it will come on and stay on until ignition is switched off. I loaded up the temp gauge via the hidden menu in the instrument panel and my cars averaging 100 degrees celsius with the maximum it got to being 104 C.
First of all, is this the engine oil temp or the coolant temp?
I am not getting any errors or messages regarding overheating. But I'm stumped as to why the fans always coming on. Could my water pump be on the way out?
Any simple ways of testing? Is this a normal operating temperature and if so why is the fan constantly coming on?
The fan turns off when I turn the ignition off. its also not blowing hot air out when waving hand in front of it.
Any info much appreciated thanks guys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I think the dealer used a cheaper version oil when servicing the jeep before I bought it, I wonder could this be the culprit?

·
Super Moderator
3,498 Posts
If we are talking about 3.0 diesel (N57 engine) the most likely culprit is failed coolant temp sensor (Nr.7 on the diagram). Those temperatures are too high for a diesel engine so of course do the basics like checking coolant level first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the one, 3.0 N57. I will double check the coolant tomorrow. Is the sensor a simple plug n play part? does it need to be programmed into the ECU etc?

·
Super Moderator
3,498 Posts
Thats the one, 3.0 N57. I will double check the coolant tomorrow. Is the sensor a simple plug n play part? does it need to be programmed into the ECU etc?
Just plug and play. This coolant sensor is a typical failure on N47 and N57 engines so worth renewal anyways to rule it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just plug and play. This coolant sensor is a typical failure on N47 and N57 engines so worth renewal anyways to rule it out.
true, theyre only a couple of bucks. As I was buying the car I remember hearing the dealer say something along of the lines of not needing to use the recommended oil. god knows what oil they’ve used. They overfilled it for a start I had to extract some out. Wonder could it be a contributing factor

·
Super Moderator
3,498 Posts
As I was buying the car I remember hearing the dealer say something along of the lines of not needing to use the recommended oil. god knows what oil they’ve used. They overfilled it for a start I had to extract some out. Wonder could it be a contributing factor
Unlikely unless they've used cooking oil. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts