BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess this will be more of a diary, or blog depending on your age, than a project thread...

Once upon a time, July 2014 in fact, far far away - 500 mile round trip, I bought this...

Feb 2011 E91 320d Sport Plus 77,000 miles - ProNav, DAB, Heated elec. memory seats, Front & rear park sensors and... Aluminium Satinated roof rails!

First job - registration...

As I bought the car in the middle of summer I decided winter wheels were my best option :D
So got a very good August deal on these E87 style 207 17" wheel with 7" & 7.5" with 205/50 & 225/45 Blizzark tyres and a spare pair of 205/50s thrown in...

Unfortunatly the 1 series offsets didn't work so looked for some E9X wheels and found (yes on eBay!) these Style 339's for a very reasonable £200, without the tyres, delivered

Swapped the 205s and the 225s round from previous wheels and bought a pair of part worn Blizzarks off ebay (£90) to give me a square setup of 8"x17" ET34 Style 339 with 225/45 Brigdestone Blizzarks F&R

Sold the Style 207 wheels with the 205 tyres on that winter for £40 more than I paid in summer and kept a free pair of 225/45 tyres for the 339's

Sept 2014 reversing into a parking spot at work the lamppost that I thought was a the back of the spot suddenly moved to halfway along the space...

:(

pushed out - yellow paint polished off and ebay replacment lamp and a man on a galloping horse - with one eye shut - wouldn't notice much...

Got away with absolutely no metalwork damage - woohoo!

lived with it like this for far too long but keeping an eye on eBay for a black bumper or a cheap, good condition one to get painted but they all seamed to have the locating slots on the top side broken

Ebay is featuring quite a lot here I think

After browsing ebay(!) I found some powerfold auto dim mirrors for a decent price as one of the frames was broken so snapped them up, dismantled the broken one and swapped over the frame from mine put the black rear covers on in place of the Alpine white one they came with and fitted them on the car along with the new mirror switch on the door with the additional mirror fold button

love the Autodim! brilliant on unlit motorways

Sold one complete mirror and the other as parts minus the broken frame and got the same price for each. Sold the windows switch and the overall cost to change the mirrors was about £70

Ebay also came up with the witter demountable towbar and the BMW roof rails and boot liner

and that was that for a while

:)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I wasn't happy with the standard MV3 Alloys due to the curb marks that were on when I bought it so (still) keeping a watch on eBay with the occasional cheeky bid and not having any luck
I was in the position of having my 17" 339 winter wheels on winter 2015/16 knowing come spring I could do with new rear tyres for my summer wheels

A successful ebay bid on a set of Style 193 MV3s off a '12 plate car meant I had a 70 mile trip to Birmingham - wheels were in very good condition with good rear Michelins that matched mine - £415

Although they were in great condition they were silver so I had them refurbed anthracite (ferric grey) back to Sport Plus spec - £260. Then shod them with a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3's as I wanted to make the change to non runflats (£305 for all 4!) (camskill.co.uk)

touched up the curbing on the other set, fitted the rear tyres from the silver set to give them a full matching set of Mich Pilot Sports and sold on £600 - after getting a crack repaired !

While I was looking on eBay for prices of MV3s to sell mine I... er... came across these...

Style 189 18" staggered with very good Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres... no use for them I have my 17" winter wheels! - anyway turns out they were 1/4 mile from work so... I bought them... in September, no-one wants to think about winter in September... £375

Cleaned them up...

They had obviously been looked after as the date stamps are 2008 but the guy had sold his BMW and sold the wheels as they were.

So I washed, caramel wheeled, decontaminated, clayed, sealed and waxed them.

before...

washed...

GTechniq W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover doing it's thing...

rinsed and clayed...

sealed and waxed...

and tyres treated to GTechniq T2 Tyre dressing...

Then tucked away until they came out to play in the snow...

First frost of the winter my 339 17" winter wheels were on eBay sold within the week £415 boom!:)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Decided it was time for an engine bay freshen up...

So attacked it with the hose pipe, APC (actually it was some diluted wash n wax I had in a spray bottle for claying) a round brush and some Simoniz Matt Dashboard Treatment I'd got on a Tesco special.

Anyway

It started like this...

And after...

Spent a bit of time on the calipers and hubs...

wire brush and toolstation blue metal paint and Cold Galvanising Spray...

Oh remember that dented bumper?...
Last week whilst browsing eBay (!) I spotted...

It had some scratches and just 2 broken slots so made an offer and £200 later it was mine complete with diffuser and parking sensors off 2012 car

so got it home and broke out the compound and the soldering iron...

Scratch polished out quite nicely

And I seem to have plastic welding skills - who knew?

Last weekend fitted it up and gave it a polish

Oh and fitted the 'carbon' effect bumper protector before fitting the bumper

Looking at what's selling on eBay £100+ is not unreasonable for a repairable Msport bumper, diffusers go for at least £30 and parking sensors £15 each - £10 for the park sensor loom comes to £200 :D

So that's pretty much upto date... until I fit my ///M badges...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little out of order but swapped the Angel eye halogens for LEDs the other month too...

My car pinged at me - near side parking light failure

So the job started with jacking up the front end, removing the wheels and arch liners and replacing the bulbs

delivered in 48 hours...

CREE 20W LED Marker Angel Eyes BMW 3 Series E90 E91 LCI With Halogen HeadLight

original Halogen...

new LED

The new LEDs had large spade connectors but the stock bulb had small spades so I cut both off and used a chocolate block connector

There are 2 LEDs in each bulb, each 5 watts hence the 20w claim but I didn't want to risk the reported blowing the lighting controller with high wattage bulbs

Despite it costing me nearly £30 (£27.80) for side light bulbs, it was a far cry from the £55 ECP wanted for one replacement halogen! and half a day to fit its bloody ridiculous!

Anyway it's all back together and I'm a happy bunny now

Also popped the yellow fog light bulbs in too that I bought about a year ago but couldn't be bothered taking the wheel arches out just for them at the time

Had one of those rare spare hours so turned my attention to the opposite end of the car...

and 60ish mins later...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn that pesky eBay and my love of wheels!

I seem to have just won some F10/F12 5/6 series 20" Style 356 alloys

There's a crack in one of the rear wheels so that will need welding when they go for a refurb - hopefully shadow chrome

I'm planning to put 235/30 & 255/30 tyres on - worst case senario: I'm 1/2" closer to the struts on the rear so may need a small spacer but I might get away without

Reactions: AS_BO

·
Registered
97 Posts
Damn that pesky eBay and my love of wheels!

I seem to have just won some F10/F12 5/6 series 20" Style 356 alloys

There's a crack in one of the rear wheels so that will need welding when they go for a refurb - hopefully shadow chrome

I'm planning to put 235/30 & 255/30 tyres on - worst case senario: I'm 1/2" closer to the struts on the rear so may need a small spacer but I might get away without

Ooooooh yes they’ll look the nuts!!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers!

Can't wait to get them on!

Infact I'm off out to try one and see how much clearence I have on the rear strut...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having had a wheel welder recommended, I decided to get it done before the refurb as you don't know how good the powder coaters welders are

We'll see how well it holds up but superficially looks the part - £40 job done

Just need someone to shadow chrome them for the right money now

·
Registered
115 Posts
Compared to some of the pigeon crap welding that I have seen on some repaired wheels that repair is the dogs danglers mate, once you get the full reverb done you will never know and at £40 that was an utter steal!
I take it the crack was noticeable on the other side? I also take it the finish of the repair is equally first class.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They're on!

They've been done sparkle silver with a smoke lacquer dusted over

They don't photograph as good as they look in the flesh but I love it

I'm made up with the offsets just right IMHO

Specs are:

Genuine BMW F10/F12, 5/6 Series Style 356 Alloys

8.5"x 20" ET33 with 235/30 Toyo Proxes T1 Sport Front

9" x 20" ET44 with 255/30 Michelin Pilot Super Sport rear