BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. My DPF is full and in fault. It's a very expensive replacement and required here in CA. I'm getting intermittent diesel odor in the cabin. I am broke due to Covid 19 shut down and was wondering if any damage will incur if I keep driving it with the DPF fault. By the way, I have drove every other viable new model to consider as a trade in and other than the M Series, nothing compares to the 335D. BMW's regular line of cars are shite. The new 335i was a joke. Thanks in advance folks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hi,
are you able to read the codes on the car as there are a few things to check first to try and find out why it is regening as it should. The first thing is to ensure it’s getting to the correct running temp as the thermostats are well known for failing and if it does not reach 80 degrees it will not regen. The next thing to check is that you have no glow plug faults as this can also stop a regen. What sort of driving do you do as short trips are not good and can cause the dpf to block. When you know it’s up to temp and no glow plug faults the next thing to do is drive at a steady 60 mph while some one clears the dpf fault codes until the regen kicks in. Some additive in the fuel tank will do no harm also. The main cause of failed regents as said is the thermostats failing and it’s not an expensive or difficult job to replace them. It’s not ideal driving with the issue as eventually it will get very clogged and require removing for a manual clean.
cheers
Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
are you able to read the codes on the car as there are a few things to check first to try and find out why it is regening as it should. The first thing is to ensure it’s getting to the correct running temp as the thermostats are well known for failing and if it does not reach 80 degrees it will not regen. The next thing to check is that you have no glow plug faults as this can also stop a regen. What sort of driving do you do as short trips are not good and can cause the dpf to block. When you know it’s up to temp and no glow plug faults the next thing to do is drive at a steady 60 mph while some one clears the dpf fault codes until the regen kicks in. Some additive in the fuel tank will do no harm also. The main cause of failed regents as said is the thermostats failing and it’s not an expensive or difficult job to replace them. It’s not ideal driving with the issue as eventually it will get very clogged and require removing for a manual clean.
cheers
Jim
Hey Jim. Thanks for the reply. I have over 100k on the car and the thermostat is not faulting. I also took it on a very long 6 hour drive and ran it at 65mph. No luck. I also took it to this dude who claimed he could inject hydrogen into the intake and it would dissolve the carbon build up. I drove 65 miles to experience that failed attempt. I am guessing that the DPF is simply full and it has to be removed to see whether it's savable. I hear that most of the time they can clean them out as they are pretty solid. $1350 to $2250 is the quote. This car. Love hate.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Have you checked for fault codes as if there are dpf codes logged the car won’t regen under any circumstances. You can get it cleaned out but if you don’t identify why it’s stopped regening you will just end up with the same issue unfortunately.
cheers
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts