BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a 2011 118i M sport cabriolet and have noticed a slight hesitation or spluttering when lightly accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gears ( between 1000 and 1600 RPM )
Does anyone have any pointers or advice as to what i should check.....or is this normal behaviour ?

My previous car was a 2005 Audi 2.0tdi which did something similar and found the cause to be a clogged and stalling EGR valve.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
588 Posts
Failing spark plugs, coil packs, injectors can all contribute to misfire’s. When was the last service which saw the spark plugs changed? I’d also check for timing chain stretch (if only for peace of mind and to rule it out). You really need to get a proper code reader on it and see what info is fed back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Failing spark plugs, coil packs, injectors can all contribute to misfire’s. When was the last service which saw the spark plugs changed? I’d also check for timing chain stretch (if only for peace of mind and to rule it out). You really need to get a proper code reader on it and see what info is fed back.
Thanks for the feedback....i will check through the service book to see when the plugs where changed last. Only just got the car last week and i know the fluids where changed but not sure about the plugs.
I will get it booked into BMW for code read (i have a warranty with the car so im not fussed about it going to them) I will post any findings in this chat.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback....i will check through the service book to see when the plugs where changed last. Only just got the car last week and i know the fluids where changed but not sure about the plugs.
I will get it booked into BMW for code read (i have a warranty with the car so im not fussed about it going to them) I will post any findings in this chat.

Thanks again.
Or would a generic OBDII reader be good enough to read any codes?

·
Registered
588 Posts
No it needs to be something that gives proper info and not best generic guess, otherwise you could end up spending unnecessary money down the wrong rabbit hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts