BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I moved to the UK 5 months back and got an F10, 520d Automatic in December 2010. I drive it mostly to my office (a round trip of about 13 miles on roads of average speeds of 40 and 50). About once a month, we make a longer trip to the countryside (200-300 miles) on cruise control. So far, I have been getting a fuel economy of only about 36mpg (am assuming they have the imperial gallons here). Is this normal performance for a 3-month old BMW and should I assume that the fuel economy will creep up with increasing mileage?

Also have a quick question about the Speed Limiting function. I have often seen that the Speed Limit is breached while driving (even on flat roads), resulting in a pretty unpleasant (and dangerous) jerk if my foot is on the accelerator. Is this normal or is this something I should be complaining to BMW about?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I find my car frequently exceeding the speed limits too, especially the Z4 (managed to pick up 6 points in the past 12 months):lol
I also find fuel economy suffers the faster I go!

Sorry mate, not very helpful, couldn't resist it:hihi

As for your economy, that doesn't seem very good for a diesel. You are probably right that it will improve but perhaps someone with the same car/engine can shed a little more light on the figures.

If it's a 2010, it will be under warranty, so I would get it into a dealer and get them to sort it out, especially the cruise function as that sounds a bit unnerving.

Good luck with it! :)

·
BFUK Meets Organiser
1,167 Posts
Hi all,

I moved to the UK 5 months back and got an F10, 520d Automatic in December 2010. I drive it mostly to my office (a round trip of about 13 miles on roads of average speeds of 40 and 50). About once a month, we make a longer trip to the countryside (200-300 miles) on cruise control. So far, I have been getting a fuel economy of only about 36mpg (am assuming they have the imperial gallons here). Is this normal performance for a 3-month old BMW and should I assume that the fuel economy will creep up with increasing mileage?

Also have a quick question about the Speed Limiting function. I have often seen that the Speed Limit is breached while driving (even on flat roads), resulting in a pretty unpleasant (and dangerous) jerk if my foot is on the accelerator. Is this normal or is this something I should be complaining to BMW about?
hi mate, i have an F10 520 d manual.

on a full tank she gives approx 430 miles, average speed 14mph and consumption of 31mpg.

The Mrs uses it for school runs and sits in traffic most of the times...otherwise its to the local Tesco etc hence the poor consumption.:eek

Yours even though its auto does not sound right?

Reset all the computers fill it up and then get average readings, at the very least you bcan compare to mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find my car frequently exceeding the speed limits too, especially the Z4 (managed to pick up 6 points in the past 12 months):lol
I also find fuel economy suffers the faster I go!
hahahaha. touche!

Reset all the computers fill it up and then get average readings, at the very least you bcan compare to mine.
Yeah that sounds like a good suggestion - will do today.

My car's still under warranty - guess I'll get the dealers to check out the speed limiting breach asap. Had one again yesterday and almost got a whiplash in the neck!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think it can limit your speed, only warn you about it ( if set in idrive) or show you the speed limit via the speed limit display option

1 - 5 of 5 Posts