BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a nail a third of the way across my front nearside today :)mad), tyre itself has plenty of life left in it and understandably, I don't want to shell out the thick end of £200 for a new one as it looks like it could be a straightforward repair. Trouble is, I know some companies won't touch it because it's an RFT. I'm pretty certain they can be repaired just like a normal tyre and I'll do some ringing round tomorrow but does anyone know if they can definitely be repaired (subject to the usual caveats) and are there any reputable companies in the Walton on Thames area that will do it?

Cheers chaps.

·
Registered
781 Posts
They CAN definitely be repaired, the trouble is most places won't as they'd much rather sell you a new tyre.

Can't help with your locality but you'll find someone by ringing around. Just don't drive on it for longer than recommended or faster than recommended as it will overheat and then it will be goosed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers vista, just been googling it for a while and as you say, they can be repaired. Just need to find someone that will do it now! I still see me shelling out for a new tyre though, I can just feel it..

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
The guys from Bridgestone HQ in Warwick advised me they definately can be repaired as per conventional tyres, provided ;

No discolouration/blue-ing of the tyre indicating overheat.
You will get some 'snotters', balls of rubber inside the tyre from temperature shear if they have got too warm.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
The guys from Bridgestone HQ in Warwick advised me they definately can be repaired as per conventional tyres, provided ;

No discolouration/blue-ing of the tyre indicating overheat.
You will get some 'snotters', balls of rubber inside the tyre from temperature shear if they have got too warm.
Indeed, mine was not run totally flat... The light came on within 100 yds of my drive and was taken off and transported to the fitter in the boot of my other car. No sign of any damage or discolouration in my case:thumbsup

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only worry is that I ran it for about 30 miles after the warning. Definitely went above 50 but not beyond 70 for about 10 miles. As vista said, I may well have goosed the tyre anyway. Frick. The only saving grace might be that it didn't go totally flat but lost half it's pressure over about 5 hours, what do you reckon?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
My only worry is that I ran it for about 30 miles after the warning. Definitely went above 50 but not beyond 70 for about 10 miles. As vista said, I may well have goosed the tyre anyway. Frick. The only saving grace might be that it didn't go totally flat but lost half it's pressure over about 5 hours, what do you reckon?
Like I said, look for discoloration and rubber inside the tyre. If you have neither, then all should be fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And so the fun begins. Rang a local company whose immediate response was, 'It's against the law to repair a RFT'. No it isn't says I, Bridgestone say you can, check their website. To be fair to him he did and acknowledged that they could be repaired but still wouldn't do it anyway 'in case it came back to him'. Why it would come back to him anymore than a repair on any other tyre is beyond me.

2nd one was Cobham BMW. I knew their service dept would be shut but rang anyway as someone is bound to know if they handle RFT repairs. Spoke to the receptionist Doris who said they do repair tyres but would confirm with a sales bloke. She came back and said the salesman said they can't be repaired and I would have to buy a new one. Yeah, right. Explained to her (politely) that he was talking balls and she said they have a tyre bloke who would be in tomorrow, so best to ring back then.

Two attempts, two fails. Protyre's website acknowledges RFT repairs so I'll bell them tomorrow and see what they say. Cheapest price I've found so far for a new tyre is £238!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bizarre isn't it? Nothing quite like a supposed subject matter expert spouting complete cobblers. Anyway, got it sorted for the princely sum of a tenner. I was out on my scooter (yeah I know, very gay) and drove past an off the road tyre place so I nipped in there and asked if they repaired RFTs, 'Yeah, no worries mate as long as it's just a straightforward puncture and nothing else'.

Sorted and well chuffed. Cheers chaps! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a place in Chertsey on Fordwater Trading Estate. i cant remember the name as i live in zurich now. They are very good .Check them out Good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bizarre isn't it? Nothing quite like a supposed subject matter expert spouting complete cobblers. Anyway, got it sorted for the princely sum of a tenner. I was out on my scooter (yeah I know, very gay) and drove past an off the road tyre place so I nipped in there and asked if they repaired RFTs, 'Yeah, no worries mate as long as it's just a straightforward puncture and nothing else'.

Sorted and well chuffed. Cheers chaps! :D
You got the name of the place that did it? just in case mine get punctured when I am around the Walton/Cobham area (the OH's family live round there :) )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts