BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum after picking up a 9 year old 320D yesterday. Previously I've owned a E30 316 and E46 320d.

My new car is a E90 320d SE - 105k miles. I hope someone can give me some advice with an unpleasant interior smell.

When I viewed the car I was greeted with the smell of spray paint when I opened the drivers door. I immediately asked the sales guy if it had just had any bodywork done and he said no. He claimed it was due to the cleaning products used to clean the car which I accepted after checking the car over as I couldn't see any signs of recent body work. I should have asked to sit in another couple of cars to see if that was the case but I didn't think of that until the deal was done and on my way home.

Since getting the car home the smell doesn't appear to be getting any better and I still believe there hasn't been any recent paint work done. I've started to think it's the air con but turning it off doesn't make any difference. My wife says it doesn't' smell like spray paint to her and its more like chemicals.

I've had my nose against the carpets, leather seats, dash etc and can't find the source. I can't even smell this smell coming from the air vents. I have checked the cabin filter and gave that a sniff and couldn't detect the smell. I put my nose against the two exposed air inlet vents once the cabin filter was removed and I think I could smell the paint smell. I noticed another filter when looking into one of the air inlets and wondered if its something to do with that one. Also does anyone know what this filter is?

I've read that an A/C leak could cause a chemical smell in the cabin and wondered if this is the problem. If this is the case does anyone know if this is harmful to inhale for long periods when driving?

Sorry for such a long first post and really appreciate any advice, cheers.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
had this before,,and was straight afer a rear quarter respray,,the guy is very cheap and i knew that and only wanted a cheap job done,,other cars ive had done from respected painters,,then no smell afterwards,,i think its been done cheaply and not in a proper booth with extractor fans etc etc

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Go back and try some other cars they have.
If they smell the same then ok if not ask for your money back they will soon sort it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts